Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP laptop intel COREi7 7th Gen is very slow at start and during browsing. How can I improve it?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @TeshomeG,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

There are several steps you can take to improve the performance of your HP laptop with an Intel Core i7 7th Gen processor.

• Update Software: Ensure that your operating system, drivers, and software are all up to date. HP often releases updates that include performance enhancements and bug fixes.
  • Check for Malware: Run a thorough scan with your antivirus software to check for any malware or viruses that may be slowing down your system.
  • Reduce Startup Programs: Disable unnecessary programs from starting up automatically when you boot your laptop. This can be done through the Task Manager on Windows or the System Preferences on macOS.
  • Increase RAM: If your laptop has less than 8GB of RAM, consider upgrading to a higher capacity. More RAM allows your laptop to handle multiple tasks more efficiently.
  • Upgrade Storage: If your laptop is still using a traditional hard drive, consider upgrading to a solid-state drive (SSD). SSDs are much faster than HDDs and can significantly improve boot times and overall system responsiveness.
  • Clear Disk Space: Make sure your hard drive isn't too full. Delete unnecessary files and programs to free up disk space.
  • Disable Visual Effects: On Windows, you can improve performance by disabling visual effects such as animations and transparency. Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Performance settings.
  • Optimize Web Browser: Clear your browser cache regularly and disable unnecessary browser extensions or plugins that may be consuming resources.
  • Check for Resource-Hungry Programs: Use the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc on Windows) to identify any programs or processes that are using a lot of CPU or memory and close them if they're not essential.
  • Defragment Your Hard Drive: If you're still using a traditional hard drive, defragmenting it can help improve performance by optimizing the placement of files on the disk.
  • Adjust Power Settings: Make sure your power settings are optimized for performance rather than energy saving. You can do this through the Control Panel or System Preferences.
  • Consider a Clean Install: If none of the above steps help, consider performing a clean install of your operating system. This will remove any unnecessary files and programs that may be causing slowdowns.

By following these steps, you should be able to improve the performance of your HP laptop.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.