Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I will be typing away in an email or preparing a proposal for work and when I look at my screen, it's half empty. No matter what key I hit, nothing appears. Occasionally, the words will appear in one of the search bars or my browser bar. No rhyme or reason and totally infuriating. I have never had a computer do this and it's enough to make me never buy another HP. Can anyone out there help me?

@bookgrrrrl wrote:

Please help me!!!! I love my new-ish HP Pavilion g6, except for one extremely irritating thing. There seem to be keyboard "shortcuts" that I don't know how to turn off. Often (and I mean at least once or twice per day), I'll be entering text either into a web page or a Word document, happily, obliviously typing away... when all of a sudden, I'll look up at my screen and I have apparently yet again hit some myterious and magical combination of keys, and I'm either on a new website or I'm in the address bar of Chrome or Firefox, and there is the rest of the sentence I was just typing. I have lost a ton of online data entry this way, and it throws me off when I'm writing in Word (I'm a researcher and writer, so it's important that I am able to keep my concentration).

I read somewhere that there are Windows shortcuts, and maybe that's the problem and it's not the laptop. I have Windows 7 now, and with my last laptop, a Compaq, I had Vista. And I never ever, not one time, had a problem even close to resembling this. It's gotten so bad that I've considered getting an entirely new laptop, because I'm tired of losing my posts and having my work interrupted! This morning I lost a somewhat important message to someone I was writing on FB, and I felt like throwing the computer at the wall. And please don't tell me I should write FB messages in Word first, then cut and paste them. I don't want to have to do that - I want my laptop to stop taking me places I don't want to go!!! 

Please, please, someone help me!

HP Recommended

I see many of us are having the same problem... is there an HP tech support person out there that can please give us the secret answer to this question??!

HP Recommended

I just did that stupid thing of somehow dimming my screen while I was typing! How in the hell do you fix it?! I went in the Control Panel and looked at the Display settings, but I didn't see any options that fixed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello Angelkay. Do you still require assistance with your issue of restoring the brightness on the screen back to normal? If so, please look at this document for more information: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00037543

If this doesn't help you, please respond to this post with your computer model and operating system, and I will assist you further. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

This is NOT the answer. I know I'm not hitting either the fn key or any of the fkeys at the top, just typing within the boundries of the standard keyboard and yet, I can be sailing along in an email or just anything, look up and note that much of my typing has been for naught as the shortcut box has popped up at some point.

HP Recommended

HI wevvie:

Thank you for your query.  I would very much like to help!

Would you provide me with the model of your computer and what operating system you are running .How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?   click here. You could download and run the HP Support Assistant  click here to look for error or updates. You could also open Device Manager, right click on the keyboard and remove or uninstall. It will usually prompt you to restart a couple of times. Once to complete the uninstall and once for it reinstall the drivers. Hope this has helped

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi,

I experience the very same problem, as mentioned above. The problem is intensely irritating - working on the computer is almost impossible because when I type something fast - the cursor jumps all over the screen. [like i would constantly hit end, home, tab, windows and other buttons]

What happens mo

When I type REALLY slow - the problem does not occur.

At first I thought there are some magic shortcuts, but I've checked it and it's not the issue.

I also thought that I might be accidentaly hitting some keys or the touchpad, but after few checks with very careful writing - it's not the issue.

I tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers - doesn't help at all. HP support assistant didn't have any resolution too.

The issue is independent of where I type, it happens both in Word, internet browsers and any textbox there is.

The model of my computer is

HP 650

Product Number: B6N59EA#AKD

Serial number: [edited by Moderator]

It came with SUSE Linux, but I've installed Windows 7 Proffesional N

HP Recommended

I have a Probook 4545s

I've been playing with computers for many years. I suspect uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard drivers is not the answer but I'll try it.

Reggie

HP Recommended

Hi mroova,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I'm sorry to inform you that your post has needed some editing to remove personal information such as the Serial Number in your post. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you,

George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Looking for a solution too. It's not the FN+Function keys that are my problem. It's the problem stated in this link:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/How-do-I-disable-HP-specific-ke...

At least two of the shortcuts have been found. 

H+O+U = F11

N+O+U = F12

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.