Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-cr0000 IDS Base Model

As the title states, the keyboard on my new HP Envy laptop recently began to stop working at random. Restarting my laptop fixes it for awhile, but eventually it'll go down again and I'll have to restart it again (usually after about an hour of use). I've had the laptop for a couple of weeks and this just started happening a few days ago. I didn't install anything just before this started, nor did any physical damage happen to the laptop.

I've run all the diagnostics I could find but nothing, and the HP keyboard diagnostics test shows no input detected at all when the keyboard is down. I've deleted and reinstalled my keyboard on the device manager and ensured that everything on my system us up to date.

Additionally, it doesn't seem to go down while I'm not using it, as leaving it running for a few hours without input doesn't see the keyboard going down. I know that I am not pressing any of the typical keyboard shortcuts that would cause the keyboard to lock, and I think if it was that then I could just unlock it the same way, which doesn't work.

Oddly enough, the power button and the camera toggle button still work when the rest of the keys go down.

Any idea on why this is happening and how to stop it? All advice is appreciated.

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

I have this same issue with the same device, and it is a relatively recent purchase. I also tried to update my keyboard drivers. However, when I run the diagnostics, it shows my drivers are up to date. I’ve tried a bunch of solutions to try and resolve this issue, but I think it’s on HP’s production end. All the driver updates on the HP support website do not resolve this issue. I’m also experiencing obstacles trying to update my keyboard using the start screen prompt. My files are now managed by my virus protection software (eset). What an annoying state of affairs. This might be my last HP Envy. I’ve lost a lot of work time trying to manually resolve this issue. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. Bumping this thread, hoping somebody may have found a solution.

HP Recommended

Same problem on the same device,, and it started within three weeks of first use.  I could write a book on all the things I've done (and paid my IT company) to do to try to fix it.  I have lost multiple days of work trying to do all the fixes, etc.  In short, after testing (with HP and by my IT people separately), my IT people said it was a hardware issue.  HP insisted it was a software issue and wanted me to reinstall the OS with a new version they sent me.  I had my IT people do this, and the day I got it back (or maybe the next), it failed again.  HP then admitted it had to be a hardware issue and offered a refund or replacement.  I went with a replacement because I can't find all the specs I want in another brand.  I finally got the replacement recently and had my IT people transfer all my info to the new one.  WITHIN ONE HOUR OF USING THE NEW ONE, THE KEYBOARD FROZE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I promptly emailed the HP support person who has been handling this issue for me, and I haven't heard back.  It seems like there's something particular to this model that's causing this issue since others have had the same problem with it.  

HP Recommended

@thisdamnkeyboar Thank you so much for writing that all out, its really good information to know. Honestly I've been a bit too tired to work as hard at trying to fix it as you have, and it sounds like it was extremely frustrating. Ugh, this sucks so bad. I'd really rather not go through the pain of trying to get another new laptop. This is unacceptable from HP's end. Also I like your name, I feel that lol

If you ever get any more updates from HP I'd really appreciate if you could update us here as well.
HP Recommended

Thanks @Hansenm17.  I'll let you know what response I get.  I reported this thread to my HP support person.  We'll see what he says.  

By the way, sometimes it seems to happen more when I'm using the down arrow key.  I'm trying to pay attention to that going forward. Have you noticed that? 

As for the name, I hit enter before I got the "d" typed in, but maybe that's more fitting as if the keyboard quit while I was typing (as it does).

HP Recommended

@Thisdamnkeyboar For some reason this thread forked at some point, here's the other thread of comments from other people having the same issue: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/New-HP-Envy-keyboard-randomly-...

People over and there and myself have also noticed that the shut downs appear connected to use of the up and down arrow keys. Someone there said they solved their problem by reassigning up and down to different keys, but I couldn't find a non-awkward spot to move them and decided to just endure the shut downs.

Also I feel like the shut downs have become less frequent in recent weeks? But I could just be using my computer less so I'm not sure.

HP Recommended

Oh, so it wasn't my imagination that it might be related to the down arrow.  I'll look at the other thread.  Thanks!!  I wonder if it's also related to the down arrow on the "2" on the keypad.....  Thanks for the info!

HP Recommended

I had to create a new screenname for some reason.....  Anyway, I reported the keyboard issue on the brand new replacement laptop, and my support person replied saying they need to do troubleshooting and wants to set up a time to do that.  I replied and said that I've already lost hours of work on the keyboard issue on the first laptop, and I'm not wasting more time when it's clear that this model has a problem.  No response yet.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Has anyone got a solution from HP?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.