Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion-15-Cs2026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a second laptop, this time for my wife.

On booting it it runs through the HP setup stuff, but unlike the one I bought about 3 months ago this one forced setting up a Microsoft account that we don't want.  

We've binned the One Drive and some other rubbish that was also forceably installed by being forced to create an MS account by the startup process.

How do we ditch it and get the laptop to boot and use a local administrator account ditching all ties with MS except the blooming awful WIndows Update feature?

Advice please?

Thanks

Why do HP force this on customers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Every PC manufacturer does it, not just HP.

Even when you clean install an operating system, you have to know exactly what to do to avoid having to use the Microsoft account.

The main thing I don't like about it, is that if someone is able to get into your Microsoft account, they can change the password and now you are locked out of your PC!

Anyway, see the link below for how to switch to a local account.

https://www.howtogeek.com/230543/how-to-revert-your-windows-10-account-to-a-local-one-after-the-wind...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Every PC manufacturer does it, not just HP.

Even when you clean install an operating system, you have to know exactly what to do to avoid having to use the Microsoft account.

The main thing I don't like about it, is that if someone is able to get into your Microsoft account, they can change the password and now you are locked out of your PC!

Anyway, see the link below for how to switch to a local account.

https://www.howtogeek.com/230543/how-to-revert-your-windows-10-account-to-a-local-one-after-the-wind...

HP Recommended

Thank you for the rapid reply Paul.

Mission accomplished MS account can go fester.  I agree totally with your concerns. Sadly I have the experience too that Apple have been horribly unhelpful to my wife who's iPAD locked itself.  Somehow something got pressed, and as happens her email account that was associated with the Apple account is no longer and to make matters worse the scribbles that were made for account hints etc. a few years ago now seem not to work. Even though we have emails to and from here old email account from 2016 including the Apple configuration one... they won't help us so that device is only fit for the bin.  Moral never buy from that decidedly unhelpful manufacturer again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.