Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was working on my computer when I suddenly had no user interface whatsoever.  My track pad, keyboard, and touch screen are all unresponsive.  I can still use external input methods.  I'm now running Windows 10 Home 64 1909.  No update ran or anything when it went out, and since then I've gone through all the standard trouble shooting with the drivers, and have gone as far as completely reinstalling the OS and starting from scratch.  I've also ruled out any hardware issues, as I've tested them in the bios menu, and everything is operable.  I have already contacted Microsoft.  Has anyone seen any similar issues?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@phildleonard 

Let me make sure I understand the situation ...

You still get into a desktop, you have wallpaper, and either a Start Menu or shortcuts, right?

Your built-in keyboard, touchpad and touchscreen do not work, but external keyboard and mouse DO work, right?

Also, you said you did a complete Win10 reinstall -- but HOW did you do that and WHERE did you get that media?

Asking because I don't want to tell you to do something you have already done.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I appreciate the reply.  I'm going to run down the list of questions and answer them individually, for clarity's sake.

-My PC boots up and runs normally.  I'm not having any issues there.

-That is correct.

-I actually did it multiple times.  I started by going through the trouble shooter and keeping my files.  When that didn't work, I went through the trouble shooter and wiped it completely.  After that didn't work, I used my bootable USB drive that I made directly from Windows and wiped the drives and reinstalled through the custom setup.  I actually did that part multiple times as well, both signing in to my Windows account, and by not using one at all during setup.  I would always have function of my keyboard and track pad until it was time to create a password.

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for the information.

The install media, did you make that from something you downloaded from Microsoft, or from using their tool?

Asking because that media would NOT contain HP drivers and that could explain the problems with the hardware.

You should see if this recovery option works better:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Yes but wouldn't Windows 10 automatically download all drivers?  They are all installed and are saying they are working properly.  I have even gone directly to HP's website and downloaded them and installed them manually.

HP Recommended

@phildleonard 

Sorry, NO.  Windows only downloads drivers supplied by Microsoft and while those do work, they only provide the most basic functions to get your PC up and running.

Drivers supplied by the hardware manufactures, like HP, contain a lot more functionality -- and since you're reporting certain hardware not working properly, it's likely you need the HP drivers for full functionality.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.