Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-da0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to brighten my screen.  The hot keys do not work.  There is no brightness control under the display settings..nothing!  

no brightness.PNG

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mwtrees,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out

As I understand you have a screen Brightness issue,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the Bios?

Have you attempted to enable the generic PnP monitor after the update was installed?

If you haven't, here's what you need to do:

1) Search for Device Manager in Start Menu
2) Expand the Monitors section
3) Right click on Generic PnP Monitor and 
4) Click on Enable and you are good!

Let's start off by performing Bios Defaults:

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Here is a link that will help. Go into your power options.
Select Balanced and click Change plan settings. Click Change advanced power settings. Then save setting changes.

You could try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows 8. 

Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update has been completed!

You could also try:

In the Device Manager, click the arrow next to Display Adaptors to expand that category
Right-click on Graphics and select Update Driver Software if more than 1 Graphics adapter does one at a time.
Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

The Notebook should find and automatically install the updated driver
After the installation is complete, restart your Notebook

Next thing, I would suggest here is to uninstall the display drivers from Device manager: 

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.

Check the box that states delete the software for this device.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Alternatively, I would suggest here is to uninstall HP System Event Utility - 

open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry for HP System Event Utility and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, restart the notebook and then install the HP System Event Utility from our HP support website, using this link.

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.