Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck0000 (2Y4A6AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having an intermittent issue with the touchpad on my new Omen 17, where every 5-15 minutes or so the cursor gradually becomes increasingly jittery, unresponsive, and buggy (to the extent that I will be almost completely unable to move the cursor, it will click of its own accord, and if I have a finger stationary on the touchpad the cursor will jump about wildly around a centimetre or two's radius at the slightest movement). It's extremely irritating, and while it's thankfully pretty much the only flaw I can pick with the entire laptop so far (aside from the keyboard backlight colours sometimes resetting on logout/in), it's a HUGE one.

I'm certain it's a software issue and not a hardware issue because not only is the device new, if I use FN+F11 to disable and immediately reenable the trackpad the issue disappears instantly and the it works smooth as butter again for a bit, before it inevitably reoccurs. I've also seen other people reporting the exact same problem (including the disable/reenable temporary fix) online so I know it's not just a fault in my unit. My drivers and OS are completely up-to-date, so I think it's probably beyond my power to fix it right now and will require a patch from HP, but any advice is welcome because it's honestly annoying enough to make me reconsider my purchase, which is a huge shame because the laptop otherwise seems phenomenal.

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

i too purchased the same laptop i dont know what to do since i also have the same crusor issue

even i uodated my drivers and recover os but it doesnt work anfd my rbg keyboard also have the same issue you are facing

i dont know what to do pls tell me a solution

HP Recommended

Absolutely ufking ridiculous, over a week and not even a word from HP when this is clearly a MASSIVE bug (at times occuring as frequently as every 30 seconds, requiring a press of FN+F11 every single **bleep** time) inthe software of one of their flagship models and nothing whatsoever to do with it being a defective unit. I hope others see this thread and decide to go with a different manufacturer because this level of bug with zero response from HP is completely absurd, especially on a laptop of this price.

HP Recommended

i feel the same as you feeling

HP Recommended

@RhoLime, @omen25

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP Omen Gaming Laptop touchpad cursor gradually becomes unresponsive. I apologize for the Inconvenience. 

I have a few recommendations 

• Update your Notebook computer to the latest BIOS from HP.COM.
  • Make sure the Windows and HP support assistant updates are up to date. 
  • If issue still persist then run the touchpad test HP PC Hardware Diagnostics

• If the test passes then continue to restore the computer back to the factory default using Reset PC inside windows, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi Dilip_18,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid I've tried every one of your suggestions and unfortunately none of them fixed the issue even slightly (the BIOS update actually seemed to make it a little worse, but the severity of the bug is varied anyway, so it's hard to be sure).

The problem has persisted since I first got the laptop, which was naturally a fresh installation of Windows, so I'm fairly sure it's not related to any third-party software, and given that the problem disappears when I switch the trackpad off and on again, making it work absolutely flawlessly for some amount of time, I'm certain it isn't a hardware issue.

Further help would be appreciated because in the politest way possible as I'm sure it's far beyond your personal control, this intensity of bug is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable for a £1000+ flagship model.

HP Recommended

@RhoLime@omen25

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

I sincerely apologize for the Inconvenience. Going forward, we are going to take steps to ensure that this situation does not happen again. It could be a hardware issue on the OMEN Gaming Laptop PC.

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our HP Support Engineers and should be able to sort this out. HP provides repair or service options for out of warranty products as well. Hence I encourage you to contact HP support for all warranty service options.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:  

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp 

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.  

4) Select the country from the drop-down.  

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.  

6) Fill the web form and proceed further.  

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. Purchased from Amazon beginning of January. I thought it was a fluke when it first happened. Obviously it's not. It came with Windows 11. I was wondering if it was a Windows 11 glitch. But my guess is no. And you can't assume it's not a hardware problem just because lots of people are experiencing the same problem. It could be a defect in the design, it could be they substituted with an inferior part because that is what happens when you have no parts. I am just dreading this because i don't want to deal with an HP RMA. I can say from experience it's very unpleasant. And Yes to all the Drivers, BIOS, and so on, all updated.

I am posting this on all the threads related to this problem..... there are quite a few so a real fix from HP would be nice

HP Recommended

@Karonaway

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

I apologize for the Inconvenience. Going forward, we are going to take steps to ensure that this situation does not happen again. You can wait for new updates from Windows and from HP support assistant. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Can you share with us any information about the problem?  Is it something HP is aware of vis a vis the OMEN Laptop?  Is it a problem with this current generation (my model OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck0000 2Y4A9AV)?  Is it hardware and should i start my RMA now?  I took a chance on buying another HP after i had swore off HP for years due to bad customer support.  I own a local IT Support company so this was first hand experience.  But for the money the OMEN ticked every box on what i was looking for.  And due to supply chain problems there wasn't a large pool to choose from nor did i have the time to wait.  Other than the touchpad it has met my expectations.  I would hope an 1800 dollar laptop would.  So giving us, the consumer, more information and not boiler plate responses would be extremely helpful.

Note I haven't done a clean install yet, i have only been using for 40 days so not a lot of time to crap up Windows so i would think that wouldn't be necessary.

And has been mentioned disabling the Touchpad using the FN+F11 fixes the problem for a bit but not as long as restarting/shutting down the computer

This is a repeat post from another thread with users having touchpad problems, making noise so we can get some answers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.