cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Bille55
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Open files with

HP Recommended
Pavilion touch smart

Tried to open a file picked the wrong one & it won’t let me change what to open it with

1 REPLY 1
EddyK
Level 11
2,977 1,695 396 646
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Bille55,

If you just want to change the default app to open the file with and you're on Windows 10:

1. Note the file type of the file you're trying to change the default opener
  2. Open Settings
  3. Navigate to Apps
  4. Select Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type
  5. Navigate to the file type (e.g. .pdf) and select the app you want

For Windows 8.1: Windows 8.1 How to set and restore file associations. - Microsoft Community

If you want to restore the "Open With" option, there's a registry edit option but this method is potentially dangerous and should be done with caution: How to Fix the Missing “Open with” Option on the Windows 10 Right-Click Context Menu (howtogeek.com)

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation