Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

new hp pavillion g7-1310us. cannot get the top open.  two silver clasps are holding it firmly

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I don't see any kind of latching device on that model. Could you perhaps be trying to open it from the wrong side, and the two silver clasps are the hinges? If you look down at the top of your closed laptop with the front end facing you, the "HP" logo should be upside down. I hope that helps.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

Many, many thanks for the answer.  I had no idea that HP would have their logo upside down.  The directions on the new laptop I just received from fed ex did not show that it was necessary to turn the laptop around after installing the battery. I thought it was some kind of new lock on the lid required to open it since I purchased my last laptop in 2009, and new ways of doing things are always being added.  Thanks to the answer, this older senior will get her laptop up and running today!

HP Recommended

Raisin25, I'm so glad it was helpful! Thank you for sharing your feedback. I hope you enjoy your new computer!! 🙂

I am an HP employee.
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

Thanks...I just received my notebook as a Christmas gift.  My desk top Dell is an antique, so I am taking baby steps, and opening the darn thing was hard. Got it open now, phew!

HP Recommended

@lgfishqueen Awesome, congrats on the new computer!! If you need any help figuring things out, this forum is a fantastic resource. 🙂

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you!  Thank you! Thank you!  I just got the laptop yesterday and was exasperated.  I thought I'd broken it. 

Now, I am relieved, but more than a little embarrassed.

Deborah

HP Recommended

@DeborahALane  You're welcome! I'm so glad you found the answer you needed. Have fun with your new laptop!! 🙂

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I am so thankful that I'm not the only one who couldn't get my brand new laptop open! Thanks so much for the solution! I think the problem is that on the other laptop I used, (Dell) you had to slide the silver things to open the lid.

HP Recommended

You're so welcome @flipr88 ! Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your new laptop!

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.