Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have a HP G42, i5 processor and 4GB of RAM.

i have been facing these 2 problems lately and i would like to know if there is anything i can do to solve it.

1. the laptop souds like a jet engine thats is going to take off~ surprisinbly it dint.

whenever i pressed the power button, the sounds of the fan spinning like its going to broke off its axel started. even without any program or software running.

is has been a concern to me as i cant always ignore the sound as most of the time i need to study in the library and the sounds is kinda concerning not just to me but also to the people in the room.

2. it just keep on thermal shut down, even i was just watching youtube.

as i said, it thermal shut down of its own, but after that i realize that it is overheating, so i broughted a metal framed cooler pad (consider it is useful as it is made of aluminium, head released faster). but it turns out, no effect at all. the thermal shutdown-ing is getting more frequent.

i looked through the internet for solution to it, and i do find out that i am not the only one encountering these problem. i would like to know if there are any official way (they way provided by manufacturer's experts) to solve this problem? as i am starting to lost faith in the laptop already.

thanks for your time reading, and i hope to receive your reply as soon as possible.

regards,

Jason.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JasonLai1991 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers.

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More.

I see your notebook is noisy  and has  an auto shutdown issue.  This is usually an indication that the fan may need to be replaced or need cleaning.

Here is a link to Troubleshooting an Overheating and Auto Shutdown Issue to assist you in determining the cause.

If a part should need replacement, here is a link to the Compaq Presario CQ42 Notebook PC and HP G42 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide. Please note chapter 4 page 91, for the fan part number and installation instruction are farther down on the page.

For your convenience I am providing a link to HP Parts Store Ordering's Web Ordering Tool.

I hope this helps.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @JasonLai1991 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers.

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More.

I see your notebook is noisy  and has  an auto shutdown issue.  This is usually an indication that the fan may need to be replaced or need cleaning.

Here is a link to Troubleshooting an Overheating and Auto Shutdown Issue to assist you in determining the cause.

If a part should need replacement, here is a link to the Compaq Presario CQ42 Notebook PC and HP G42 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide. Please note chapter 4 page 91, for the fan part number and installation instruction are farther down on the page.

For your convenience I am providing a link to HP Parts Store Ordering's Web Ordering Tool.

I hope this helps.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi @Sparkles1

I just want to know if these problems are common among all HP users or just unforturnate for my brother and i in which we both brought the same model of laptop same time.

i honestly can tolerate the noise problem as it already become part of the laptop functionality in my opinion.

but the problem of the thermal shut down and even worse is that the rate of thermal shut down is getting more rapid is bothering me.

i honestly spend a lot of money on fixing this laptop, from the minor problem like noise and thermal shut down, to major like replacing harddisk and changing a brand new battery.

hope my brother and i just the unfortunate one.

thanks for your reply, it is full with solutions and examples.

JasonLai1991

HP Recommended

My H42 ciomputer was overheating and shutting down.  

On the web I saw many different solutions about fans, processors, etc.

My solution was very simple!  I selected the HP default value in the "HP Power" settings  in the Windows  Control Panel . I didn't even look at their previous values.

I was very surprised!  I'm now experiencing temperatures in the low 50's (Core Temp) and my programs like MS Office 365 are loading and executingf faster.

Unknowingly I believe I must have used a performace tool that apparently played around with my  power performance values.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.