Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm an audio producer and sound designer, and I recently switched from Apple to PC a few months ago.  My audio interface of choice is a Universal Audio Apollo Twin Solo MKI, which uses Thunderbolt 2 to connect to a computer.   The Omen 15 laptop that I am using now is an Intel Core i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz 2.59 GHz processor. The OS build is 19041.388.  The System model/Motherboard is OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc1xxx.  I use Ableton Live 10 for my Digital Audio Workstation and I am running Windows 10 Pro.  Everything is up to date.

There were no issues between my Macbook Pro (mid-2012 model) and the Apollo Twin.  Now that I've switched, I've needed to purchase a StarTech.com TBT3TBTADAP Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter for my PC laptop to recognize the interface.  Plugged it in proper, downloaded the appropriate drivers for the interface, and everything was up and running until I started to hear random bursts of digital distortion at various volumes in addition to unnecessary pitch shifting in Ableton Live and elsewhere (Spotify, YouTube, etc).

After contacting UAD's customer support on this issue, I was told the following:

"On Windows, most often the common culprit is a processor throttling setting within the BIOS. Boot into the BIOS, then go to the Processor or Performance section. Here, look for and disable Intel SpeedStep, Turbo Boost, and C State or C1E. These are processor throttling functions that definitely cause issues. 

After that, save and exit. Boot back into Windows and go to the Windows Control Panel > Power Options section. Set to High Performance Power plan. 

Make sure Windows itself, the BIOS and the Thunderbolt controllers have all been updated as well if the issue persists. If you have any antivirus running, temporarily disable it or uninstall to see if that helps. Lastly, you can try opening the Windows Device Manager and right click/disable wifi and bluetooth in the Network adapters section."

Here's what I HAVE done:

• Matched the buffer size and sample rate (32 bit, 48kHz) bewteen the laptop, Apollo Twin, and Ableton Live.
  • Disabled Bluetoth
  • Switched to a High-Performance Plan via control panel>hardware and sound>power options>choose plan settings>change advanced power settings>processor power management: Minimum Processor State 100%
  • Turned off all other computer notification sounds
  • Booted into BIOS via UEFI...

...only to not find anything having to do with any processor power throttling functions as UAD mentioned above (Intel SpeedStep, Turbo Boost, and C State or C1E).

I am still experiencing random digital distortion in Ableton and elsewhere through my audio interface though the buffer size and sample rate matching have fixed the pitch shifting issue.  Am I missing something?  Is there a menu I've overlooked somewhere?  Is it even possible to disable these functions on my laptop?  Should I just give up and get an audio interface that simply works with my laptop?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@_sn0zer

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

You cannot disable those functions on this laptop as it may render the device unstable, and HP does not recommend the same.

Let's try a hardware test: 

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the steps as you described and performed an Extensive Test twice: once with my UAD Apollo Twin interface plugged in and turned on and once with it unattached just to be thorough.  There was no option regarding "run once" or "loop until error."  I was only given the option between a short or extensive test.  Furthermore, no components failed and I did not receive any 24-digit code number, but when I ran the test with the UAD interface attached, the completion screen read "Extensive Test: WARNING" as opposed to "PASSED" when the interface was not plugged in.

Thank you for your assistance, and I look forward to getting to the bottom of this.

HP Recommended

Let's do a SFC scan:

Type cmd in the Start search box. In the result, which appears, right click on cmd and select Run As Administrator.

In the command prompt window which opens, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Also, let's do these updates:

Windows Updates -  

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.  

2) Check for updates.  

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

HP Support Assistant Updates -  

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.  

2) Check for updates.  

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.