Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 14 2020
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, any Spectre x360 14 has the Quiet profile under HP Command Center, which is a mode I use frequently. However, when I want to use an external GPU with the Thunderbolt 3 connection, the Quiet profile disappears from HP Command Center. The only way to make it appear again is to disconnect the external GPU, but then I have to choose between eGPU or Quiet profile when I want to use both. Picture below on how it looks. go51s18bbn081.png

I would like a fix to this as I do not only game when connected to an eGPU since I use 2 monitors connected to my eGPU and for normal use the fans turn on regularly if the Quiet profile is not enabled. I tried disabling HPSysInfoCap.exe to see if maybe I can trick the Quiet profile into appearing and it doesn't work. HP must have configured Spectre laptops to automatically disappear the Quiet profile when detecting a dedicated GPU of any kind when this is in reality an external GPU. Help on this matter would be appreciated. All of my drivers are up to date and I have no HP driver updates in HP Assistant Manager. Nor does reinstalling HP Command Center fix this. Using Smart Sense or Balanced mode does not reduce fan noise as much as the Quiet profile, so those aren't solutions to my problem either.

Note: have tried all different BIOS versions and none of them solve this issue. For a laptop that gets the fans revving pretty quick in normal browsing, it's surprising no one has mentioned this issue before. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

In case you may be like me and are extremely desperate to use both the Quiet profile and Performance profile when using an eGPU, this is the only workaround I can find

1. Make sure you have the Quiet profile enabled BEFORE plugging in the eGPU 

2. When opening HP Command Center, make sure all currently viewable profiles don't have their circle filled in (AKA, the Quiet profile is enabled but disappeared)

3. After checking HPCC in the last step, close it completely 

4. Open Task Manager, under services, disable HPSysInfoCap.exe

5. Re-open HPCC, now you will be greeted with 2 categories of controls. Thermal Control and System Control.

6. After opening HPCC, enable HPSysInfoCap.exe in services 

7. Under THERMAL CONTROL, select the Performance profile 

With this, you have changed from Quiet profile while preserving the Performance profile at the same time. Now, how to go back to the Quiet profile while an eGPU is connected with this type of Performance profile enabled?

1. Disable HPSysInfoCap.exe while HPCC is still open

2. Close HPCC

3. Enable HPSysInfoCap.exe

4. Open HPCC

5. Quiet profile should be automatically selected (while still actually invisible to you)

Now, there is one more technically easier workaround, but it's not optimal as it could lead to eGPU glitches

1. BEFORE plugging in your eGPU, open HPCC 

2. Select the Quiet profile

3. Connect the eGPU WHILE LEAVING HPCC open. 

With that the Quiet profile will stay in place and not disappear BUT IF YOU CLOSE HPCC WITH EGPU AND RE-OPEN IT WILL DISAPPEAR. So if it disappears again, you'll need to do the first tutorial I mentioned here again. If you constantly need to switch out of these profiles, I recommend this method of always leaving HPCC open upon boot before plugging in eGPU, but do note some eGPU bugs like stuttering might occur, since this is considered eGPU hotplugging.

THIS IS BY NO MEANS A REAL SOLUTION. I really can't believe you need to do all of this just to be able to switch between Quiet and Performance profiles while attached to an eGPU. HP can easily fix this by doing a BIOS update that makes Quiet profile not disappear upon detecting an Nvidia GPU in Device Manager. Not a single HP representative has even bothered replying here. Real shame they haven't gotten to fix this yet. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.