Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch004na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm having trouble using OpenGL with the Radeon RX Vega M GL graphics card. I have a Spectre 15-ch004na with Windows 10 Pro. I am able to use OpenGL with the Integrated card, but not with the Dedicated. On Intel's site it states that it is compatible with OpenGL 4.5, but I'm assuming because of HP's customised driver it isn't available?

Is there a way I can use OpenGL with the dedicated card?

Using the Integrated doesn't give the best performance.

Thanks.

HP Driver Vega Graphics doesn't support OpenGL.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have found a solution!

This seems to be a problem with Windows itself. After chatting with HP, we tested running OpenGL in Safe Mode and this was even worse, where it wouldn't run on either of the graphics cards. We knew this was odd, but couldn't think of a solution at the time.

Before I contacted HP again, I decided to Update Windows to the May 2019 Update and this is where OpenGL/Java (Minecraft) started using the dedicated card.

If you find that your OpenGL/Java program still isn't using the dedicated card make sure Minecraft (or the program you're using) and Java are set to use the dedicated card in Windows Settings, under System > Display > Graphics Settings(At the bottom) > Add the program and set it to High Performance. You can check what graphics card the program is using in Task Manager.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have found a solution!

This seems to be a problem with Windows itself. After chatting with HP, we tested running OpenGL in Safe Mode and this was even worse, where it wouldn't run on either of the graphics cards. We knew this was odd, but couldn't think of a solution at the time.

Before I contacted HP again, I decided to Update Windows to the May 2019 Update and this is where OpenGL/Java (Minecraft) started using the dedicated card.

If you find that your OpenGL/Java program still isn't using the dedicated card make sure Minecraft (or the program you're using) and Java are set to use the dedicated card in Windows Settings, under System > Display > Graphics Settings(At the bottom) > Add the program and set it to High Performance. You can check what graphics card the program is using in Task Manager.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.