Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
01-22-2018 09:06 PM
Recently my HP ENVY laptop has been really annoying and turns off randomly while I am using it. This can be frustrating as a student working on papers and then finding that it just randomly turns off and I lose all my work and progress with whatever I am working on. I would really love some help because I have not found another discussion board with this specific problem. It's pretty frustrating because it seems like this laptop is never perfect and always has something going on that can be annoying. ie: camera randomly stops, randomly turning off,etc...
01-22-2018 10:37 PM
Welcome to the HP Support forum.
Does it shut down (like power off) or it restarts ??
If it restarts - do you notice a prompt blue screen before the restart ?
How often did this happen ? When did it start ? Any changes performed around that time ?
** If your PC shuts off with a warning from Windows (some message on screen), then this is software issue and is connected to Windows (e.g. Windows Update) , some 3rd party software (good or bad).
** If the PC shuts down without any warning, it could be hardware issue.
Please, check this article for reasons for the PC to turn off unexpectedly - could be motherboard, battery, overheating, etc....
Perform some basic hardware checks to rule out hardware problem
- Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)
- Power the computer back on.
As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu
- Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.
This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXUp43ahHA
If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD (hard disk drive) and RAM check (memory check).
Let me know the test results, how is your battery performing and provide an update.
Download and run the free Speccy > http://www.piriform.com/speccy
Install and run the app
When it is ready, click on File > Save a snapshot
A file with .speccy extension will be generated. Please, upload it somewhere (e.g. in your Google Drive, Dropbox, ICloud or OneDrive storage) and give me URL to download/see
*** I work for HP *** I express personal opinion only *** HP Expert - Volunteer since 2013
10-02-2019 08:09 AM
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!