Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
D5F07PA#AB5

Hi, my laptop is now showing the dreaded blue screen and I am unable to restore the windows. I saw some video that showed how to copy files (DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM) from RegBack using command prompt. I found that there are no files in  RegBack. There are two files which shows dates and <DIR> . and <DIR>..I do not know much about laptop. Please help me. Thank You.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @lopa101,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having issues with the computer does not boot properly. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Do you get any error message or is it a blank blue screen?

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to run the system diagnostics test as well as an extensive test on the Hard drive and Memory from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

IMG_7993.JPG

Hi Jeet_Singh,

Thank you for your kind reply.

I had shut down the computer and after starting the windows does not load.  I looked for solution and found a tutorial which advised to simply renaming the file in System32 > config by copying the file from RegBack. I found no files in RegBack. Please help me find a solution...

HP Recommended

Hi @lopa101,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand there are no files shown the Regback folder, which clearly indicates there seems to be some issue. Before you could conclude, this to be a hardware issue, I would suggest you run an extensive test on the system diagnostics as well as an extensive test on the Hard drive and Memory from F2, using this link.

Depending on the test results, if all the test passes, I would suggest you perform a system recovery. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Jeet Singh for your reply and help. I did extensive test which took about 4 hours and the test results had passed. After which I followed your advice and tried to reset the laptop to factory setting, it failed when I tried backup. I tried again to reset it completely to factory setting without any backup but there was problem again resetting my PC.

I am looking for the drivers. My model no is 14-b119TU. I wonder if I am choosing the drivers right, I had updated to window 10. Originally I had windows 8. I wonder what to do next to install windows drivers in my laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi @lopa101,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I see that you have performed the test and it passed without any errors, I wanted to know if you are running the system recovery using a retail version of Windows or from the backup created soon after purchasing the PC. 

If you are using a retail version of windows, I would suggest you can order a set of recovery media by contacting our HP phone support and then reinstall Windows.

Answering to your question, your PC was shipped with 8.1 and you have upgraded to Windows 10, and you would like to know if you are choosing the right drivers, I looked at the support site and we only have drivers available for Windows 8 and 8.1. so you could go ahead and install the drivers for Windows 8.1 as this should be compatible with Windows 10. 

I hope this answers your question, let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

same thing is halpening to me bro...i installed win 10...now it starts to your pc ran into problems ... I saw some video that showed how to copy files (DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM) from RegBack using command prompt. I found that there are no files in  RegBack. There are two files which shows dates and <DIR> . and <DIR>..I also do not know much about laptop. Please help me. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.