Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion gaming laptop

So DPD are collecting this for HP to look at a screen defect. At the very bottom of the email it says to "remove all passwords". Obviously I'm not going to do that. Previous computer repairs I've just been told to delete everything and set up a guest password and give it to them. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ranger99 

If you have used Browsers or other apps that have saved passwords locally, the only way to really remove those is to use special software that actually wipes the drive -- fills it with ones or zeroes.  Simply erasing stuff does not actually remove it.

Besides, if HP decides to image your drive, everything you have there now will be erased, anyway.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

It specifically says:

REMOVE all your PASSWORDS or HP repair center might not be able to fix your problem. 

Are they really saying I have to take off the passwords to all the accounts? I'm not going to do that.   What can I do?

HP Recommended

@ranger99 

I have no idea why they would demand something so ridiculous!  If all they want is for you to remove the password to Windows so they can login, then set it to something like PASSWORD and include a note to that effect.  I can't see why they would want or need access to anything other than your Windows login.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.