Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab254sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I've just bought a new laptop and so I'm going through the usual set-up process of removing all the pre-installed bloatware. Most I've been able to do either by right-clicking the tile and selecting 'uninstall', or by using the Powershell 'Remove-appxpackage' command. This seems to have worked in most cases, but I cannot get rid of a booking.com app and something called Flipboard. Right-clicking the tile simply brings up the 'uninstall' routine from the settings (control panel) with no clue as to what program I should uninstall.

I've now unpinned all the tiles so I've cleared the start menu - but booking.com still comes up in the apps menu under 'B'

How can I delete these stubborn apps?  (And the windows 10 email client as well which refuses to die!)

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi @HateBloat,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy: 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you have successfully removed any bloat ware except for Booking.com and Flipboard.

You have removed them from the start menu, but they are still listed in your apps.

Have you tried removing the unwanted programs using the Control Panel.

Go to Control panel/Programs/Programs and features/uninstall a program

If the program is listed you should be able to select it and click uninstall.

If you still are unable to remove the program trying booting into safe mode to uninstall it.

HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 😎.

Please let me know if this helped. 

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the   Thumbs Up icon   below.  

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I think HateBloat has the same issue as me.

R-click booking.com

Select uninstall

Programs and features CP item opens

No entry is listed for booking.com so I cannot select it and then select uninstall as you advise.

HP Recommended

Hi @soundian,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy: 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that when you checked the Control panel/ programs and features, booking.com is not listed.

If it is not listed, are you sure you have not uninstalled it and you just have the icon(shortcut) remaining?

II you click on the booking.com icon does the program launch?

Please keep me updated.

To say thanks for responding please click the thumbs up button below.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for your repsonse.

I've done a full re-install using the built-in W10 utility.

First thing I checked was Booking.com, same behaviour, program is still showing as installed but no listing exists on prgrams and features CPL, which is where you are taken if you choose uninstall.

NB: This shipped with W8 and I upgraded to W10 before attempting to remove anything. Possible cause?

HP Recommended

Hi @soundian,

Thank you for the update.

As you have completely reinstalled Windows 10 and you are still unable to remove booking,com. 

You can contact HP support for assistance in resolving this difficulty. With your permission they can remotely connect your system to help overcome difficulties.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

You could also contact Microsoft for assistance with Windows 10/

Microsoft Corporation / Customer Service.

1-800-642-7676

Microsoft Support Contact Us

Please keep me updated.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I do not find this is a satisfactory solution. Someone may be able to remote in (not something I'm willing to allow) but how will they fix the underlying issue: every time I flatten this build I'll have the same problem.

Basically, the image of the opertaing system you have supplied with this piece of hardware is faulty, and your solution is not permanent. 

You need to think about to fulfill your legal obligations as a manufacturer. As it stands i have a demonstrably faulty piece of kit and no permanent solution has been offered

HP Recommended

Hi @soundian,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works.  Learn How to Post and More

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Ok what's the story with this booking.com

Same issue it's not in add remove programs and uninstall takes me to the control panel where no option exists to remove.

How do I remove this from my start menu? Not sure if this caused the virus when I unpacked and when I restored from HP restore utility it was still there. I don't want bloatware and if I want it I'll get it myself.

Can you please post the solution to this problem?

John

HP Recommended

I wouldn't hold your breath.

After nearly 2 months I still haven't had any response

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.