Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp stream 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just need a tech expert to tell how to replace Mcafee antivirus with Avast Premium and also Malwarebytes as I dont want Mcafee on my new HP Stream 14 4 GIG I jsut bought in UK.

Then I need to know the order of install please. 

Also after that do I need to disable Windows Defender?

Thanks so much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

To remove Mcafee uninstall like any other program. Right-click on start and click on programs and features. Now you will find one or more entries for Mcafee. Double-click on one at a time and follow the uninstall procedure. (It can take a little bit of time). If for some reason the uninstall fails download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR)

from here:

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

Next install Avast on the computer and setup to your specifications. Last install Malwarebytes and decide if you want it to constantly monitor (you will need to buy licence after 30-day trial or use free version and scan the computer whenever you feel it is necessary. I personally prefer the second option as I like to have the minimum amount of active programs on my system.

Defender will automatically disable once you have installed Avast. You can still use the Defender virus scanner when you want.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

To remove Mcafee uninstall like any other program. Right-click on start and click on programs and features. Now you will find one or more entries for Mcafee. Double-click on one at a time and follow the uninstall procedure. (It can take a little bit of time). If for some reason the uninstall fails download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR)

from here:

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

Next install Avast on the computer and setup to your specifications. Last install Malwarebytes and decide if you want it to constantly monitor (you will need to buy licence after 30-day trial or use free version and scan the computer whenever you feel it is necessary. I personally prefer the second option as I like to have the minimum amount of active programs on my system.

Defender will automatically disable once you have installed Avast. You can still use the Defender virus scanner when you want.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

OK  David great

But I was told by Malwarebytes to disable Avast while installing I have to click exclusions and click some check boxes and then also paste in this URL Malwarebytes support emailed me and then restart

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sometimes antivirus programs might give some problems with installation of a anti-malware program. Did you buy a licence for Malwarebytes premium?

I have installed on computers with Avast and there was no problem. I do not know exactly what Malwarebytes told you to checkmark and most likely it is after having installed when you can choose what to exclude from the Malwarebytes scanner (Avast applications).

If you look at the user guide for latest Malwarebytes the installation guide page 4-6 the process is simple:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/1709-102-1-2471/Malwarebytes-User-...

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hi David

Yes I have premium paid versions of Malwarebytes and also Avast

HP Recommended

Please change your accepted solution to actual answer, you can do thid by going into options on the post you clicked as solution, removing the solution and then clicking on accept as solution on the answer to your question.

All the best, 

David

HP Recommended

OK

Yes I have premium paid versions of Malwarebytes and also Avast

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.