Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15" X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After the most recent Windows 10 upate to version 1903, the four finger swipe gesture, has been reversed. previously I could swipe from left to right to go right; now i have to swipe right to left to go right.

I want to know how to reverse this; I have googled and found the tip about modifying the registry keys for Synaptics, but this no longer works. I have spoken with two different support agents; the first was unable to solve the issue and the second suggested that I either refresh Windows (not at all a solution to my problem) or take my laptop to a service centre.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've been trained to swipe in the direction I want to go by 15 months of muscle memory, and retraining it is enraging.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Andrew1990 Welcome to HP Community!

It looks like the only way to reverse this feature is by editing the registry, I suggest you create a backup of all your personal data and export the registry to an external storage device:

Once done, follow the below steps: (LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE REFERRING TO)

Use regedit to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\Win10\4FHorizontal Scrolling

Swap the values for NegativeCustomZoneID and PositiveCustomZoneID. That is:
Change NegativeCustomZoneID from Hex 88 (Decimal 136) to Hex 87 (Decimal 135)
Change PositiveCustomZoneID from Hex 87 (Decimal 135) to Hex 88 (Decimal 136)

Reboot, and now the four-finger swipe direction should be successfully reversed.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it does not work. I've made the changes as per the attached screenshot, and it is still reversed. This worked fine right up until the 1903 update; I'm not sure if it's a Microsoft problem or what else could be going on.

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

@Andrew1990 Well, if the issue began after the update, your guess is right about it being an issue with the windows update, usually they release a patch to resolve such issues caused after an update, however, until they do, you may want to use system restore to go back to the time before the update was installed and disable the automatic windows updates for the time being:

Steps to perform = Windows system restore

And the steps to disable the updates are mentioned below:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.

2. Type services.msc and press Enter.

3. Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.

4. In Startup type, select "Disabled". Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.