Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last 2 days I have noticed the fan running constantly (and quite loudly)...  looking at Task Manager processes it shows that a listing for Service Host : Network Service is running at 25% CPU- which I am guessing is causing the fan to run.  How do I fix this?? 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Bladerunner925 Welcome to HP Community!

Here are a few things that should help resolve the issue:

Solution 1: Disable the Superfetch service

1. Press Windows Logo key + to open a Run
  2. Type services.msc into the Run dialog and press Enter.
  3. Scroll down the list of services on your computer and locate the service named Superfetch.
  4. Double-click on Superfetch to edit its settings.
  5. Click on Stop to stop the service.
  6. Set the Startup type for Superfetch to Disabled.
  7. Click on Apply and then on OK.

Solution 2: Fix the memory leak in the non-paged pool of memory

If Solution 1 doesn’t work, don’t fret as you can still move onto this solution. To try and resolve this issue using this solution, you need to:

Press Windows Logo key + to open a Run

Type regedit into the Run dialog and press Enter.

In the left pane of the Registry Editor, navigate to the following directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > ControlSet001

Click on Services in the left pane and then scroll down under services and chose Ndu.

In the right pane, locate and double-click on the registry value titled Start to modify it.

Change its Value data to 4. Doing so will disable it and plug the memory leak in the non-paged pool.

Click on OK.

Close the Registry Editor.

Restart your computer. When your computer boots up, you should see that System Host: Local System (Network Restricted) is no longer using a massive amount of your CPU and/or Disk.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I attempted both of these steps, and the problem has not gone away. (#1 - there was no superfetch; #2 - no effect). Any further guidance you can provide would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

@jimsuits
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • What is the exact issue with the computer? Is your computer overheating? 
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Fan is making a horrible noise and CPU  is running very Hight

15Z-cw100c

6CR88AV

HP Recommended

@jimsuits

thank you for posting back. 

This sounds like a hardware related issue with the system fan, 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am going to say this doesn't seem like a hardware issue to me. I had the same issue in the same time frame. The issue is in software. The symptoms of the issue are that the fan is spinning loudly, and the CPU is running hot. The root issue looks more like "Service Host: Network Service" is doing something that is using 25% (at least its 25% for me) of my CPU all the time. A week or 2 ago, I didn't have this issue.

Now I was tired of this, I had searched everywhere online, and couldn't find an solution that satisfied the issue. So I figured, I will just end the task. Windows warned me that this may make Windows unstable, but I figured that if worst comes to worst, Windows will crash and I will just have to turn on my computer again. So that is what I did, and I haven't had issues since (I also haven't restarted my machine since I think). This shouldn't have to be a solution, and I warn everyone to do this at your own risk. I do not take responsibility for your machine. I only take responsibility for my own machine.

I will eagerly await a more official answer to this.

HP Recommended

not a fan issue.  chat service updated bios and problem solved

HP Recommended

contacted support by chat.  they took control of machine remotely and updated bios. problem solved took about 20 minutes

HP Recommended

@jimsuits
Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.