Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2000
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

HP 2000 old laptop of my husbands I’m using now.  I apologize in advance for how daft this problem maybe.  When I click to print anything, it seems windows media is the default program that comes up( and I can’t find anyway to print from it). I’d like to change this.  But anywhere I’ve looked it’s all in code and abbreviations I don’t understand.  I just want the easiest program to print from.  Can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@griery2001 

It depends very much on WHAT you are trying to print -- as the default printer options are set in the app you are using to view the contents of the file you are trying to print.

For example, if it's a picture, and you open that with Windows Media Player, then that will try to print the picture.

You need to go into the app you are using, select Print, and change the printer options there.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood.  The problem is more focused on for instance, a link for a calendar or print out - anything off the web that a normal box would pop up and the article or graphic (nothing that requires a play button) would display as the PDF? I had a choice the first time(my son was at my elbow) and I was trying different options and it accidentally clicked on windows media player.  But if I were to go to a pictures file and pull up a JPEG windows Live Gallery opens and works correctly- automatically.  And the print button out of my yahoo email account won’t work but the pull down menu from the top utilities bar, I can choose the print option- simplify page and print.  Off the web, if it is a downloadable link I try to pull up- here comes the windows media center that is no help.  Does that make sense?

HP Recommended

@WAWood I read your answer a few times(I’m a little daft and very simple when it comes to solving computer problems) and one thing you said dawned on me about options in the AP- it wasn’t the printer AP but something about the web browser.  So I changed a few of the options to get rid of the windows media and nothing was working until I realized I could reset to original browser defaults- that’s what corrected the issue- it was within the browser AP somewhere- THANK YOU!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.