Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can someone Please help me to turn OFF the Software & Driver Update Pop-Up ?  I have told this pop-up ( out of frustration ) to NEVER check but yet it continually pops back up, stopping me from what I am doing. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Roxy22

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Press "Ctrl + R" to open the Run command.
  2. Type in "services.msc"
  3. Scroll down until you find "Windows Update"
  4. Right click "Windows Update" and select "Properties"
  5. Click "Stop" to stop the service from running.
  6. Under the Startup Type, select the dropdown box "Disabled" to prevent it from starting again.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

it's not for a "windows" update....it's to stop the HP Software & drivers Updates. So NO this was NOT helpful.

HP Recommended

@Roxy22

Thank you for posting back. 

Thank you for remaining patient. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. It's incredibly frustrating. I have also selected "Never" for how often to check for these updates but that does not seem to save as a setting. I have also shut off all Notifications including HP Support and it still pops up.

@Roxy22 - have you found anything helpful to stop this yet? Thanks for any advice you can share as you also try to solve the same problem. I will do the same.

HP Recommended

Vidyasub, NO  and they don't return calls when they say they will......they do but like 3 hours later. ( I wasn't available when they called)  I was when they were SUPPOSED to call.

HP Recommended

I have found a "work around" that works.  Although it still will use resources, it works.  Instead of just dismissing the pop-up ( so it will pop back up again) minimize it and just let it sit in the bottom tool bar. It can sit there all day and won't annoy you that way.  Hope you can find the fix....I can't.

Good Luck.

-Roxy22

HP Recommended

Thanks @Roxy22. I also found something that seems to be working (fingers crossed!!!) - I uninstalled the "HP Support Assistant" program completely. Since then the pop up hasn't shown up again. I read on a few other websites that either uninstalling "HP Support" or "HP Update" (which I couldn't find on my computer) could help with HP checking for updates.  I also checked my Task Scheduler to see if I could find anything that was triggering the pop up, but didn't see anything (though that could have been because I did this after I deleted "HP Support").

Here was one of the support threads that helped me - I tried to follow the "HP Support Assistant interrupts games, movies or TV" and the "Preventing HP Support Assistant from opening automatically" sub-sections: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03601631#c03601631_nointerrupt

Here was another blog that talked about it: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/176077-persistent-software-drivers-popup.html

Not sure if you've already tried these but wanted to share just in case. I hope it helps (and I'll let you know if the problem resurfaces on my end)!

HP Recommended

I also uninstalled the "HP Support Assistant" program and have not had that annoying popup appear again. It appears to fix the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.