Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 855 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have recently purchased an Elitebook 855 G7. I have installed a bigger SSD and performed a fresh windows 10 pro install. Everything is working fine except a few hotkeys, which are, the brightness controls and the mute button. The volume controls, flightmode and keyboard backlight work, so does the programmable key after installing the driver. I don't get any pop ups or anything when I press one of the keys that do not work. There is just no response at all.

I have done the following steps without any success:

• I have installed the "HP Hotkey support" driver "sp105797".
  • I have installed the correct graphics drivers and can control the brightness using the display settings menu.
  • I have installed the "HP Support assistant" and installed all the drivers it recommended but I cannot find anything about the hotkeys on there.
  • I have tried removing the default windows driver in the device manager and also tried installing the "HP hotkey support" driver manually.
  • I have ran the bios update utility and everything is up to date.

So I kind of ran out of things to try and would very much like to fix this. What could i do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Marce09 

I don't disagree with you about the benefit of doing a clean install over that of migrating an OS -- but the issue here is the MEDIA from which you do that install.  Laptops really need the manufacturer's drivers to fully utilize their hardware and an install from Microsoft Media does not contain those drivers.  That often results in problems like yours -- some hardware not working due to lack of HP drivers.

And yeah, I saw that you tried reinstalling the HP hotkey drivers -- but those might be relying on Chipset drivers to work.  Did you try reinstalling those as well?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Marce09 

You should not have done the fresh install as you could have migrated the OS, along with all the HP drivers, to the new SSD and not be having this problem now.

An alternative would be to create Win10 install media using the HP Cloud Recovery tool:

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Recommended

First off, thanks for the quick response.

Whilst it might have been better to migrate the OS I am of the opinion that it should always be possible to do a clean install and get everything working by installing the correct drivers. Otherwise my laptop would have become useless if the original drive died on me.

For the sake of completeness I've tried the HP Cloud recovery tool without success since it does not recognize the Product ID of my laptop even though it is the correct ID thats also printed on the bottom. The product id is 204L8EA#ABH.

HP Recommended

At the moment, the only solution is to refuse the update KB4579311 (Build 19041.572) and wait for the driver update.

HP Recommended

I've seen some other posts about this update and did uninstall the update after posting my issue. It also did not help. It's kind of strange because the update history still says it was installed but it doesn't show up in the installed updates list.

Anyway, I suppose there is nothing to do but wait for new updates then and hope they fix it.

HP Recommended

@Marce09 

I don't disagree with you about the benefit of doing a clean install over that of migrating an OS -- but the issue here is the MEDIA from which you do that install.  Laptops really need the manufacturer's drivers to fully utilize their hardware and an install from Microsoft Media does not contain those drivers.  That often results in problems like yours -- some hardware not working due to lack of HP drivers.

And yeah, I saw that you tried reinstalling the HP hotkey drivers -- but those might be relying on Chipset drivers to work.  Did you try reinstalling those as well?

HP Recommended

Apparently I missed that driver (AMD Chipset Driver - Renoir) and that did indeed fix the issues with the remaining hotkeys. Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.