Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Stream 13-Spectre/Meltdown Vulnerabily
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do i go about finding out what I need to do, if anything, about dealing with this reported vulnerability for my HP Stream 13-c020na (Touch) (Energy Star).

I have tried to follow a HP document in the support section of their website covering it seems the issue in question but I have to admitted I am confused as to what it means in respect of my Notebook?

Some clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, that matches your laptop.  As a side note, BIOS updates usually go without any problems, but I have been burnt in the past;  I always make sure I have a recent image backup of a computer before a BIOS update.  Also, the BIOS update erases all the BIOS settings, so if you changed anything make sure you write down those changes before the update.  These fixes are ongoing, so it is likely there will be more BIOS updates, Windows updates, other firmware updates, or application updates going forward.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

As long as Windows is kept up to date on the machine you should be safe.  Some machines will get a BIOS update to patch it even further but many will not.  

Please remember to select the answer
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

I always keep Windows up to date but I was hoping there could be a more definitive response from HP on this matter so that should be safe would be more will be safe.

thanks again

l

HP Recommended

Your laptop is listed here.  Update your BIOS:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05869091

HP Recommended

Thanks pjc 123 for your info:-

Update BIOS now that worrys me for a start.

I have found what I think is my Stream model on the hp list I wonder if you could confirm this is what you have seen?

HP Stream Notebook PC 13-c000 ~ 13-c099

F.22

sp84838

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp84501-85000/sp84838.exe

I know there is a hp bullitin on how to update the BIOS so I will decide what I will do once I have re-read everything.

Many thanks again.

HP Recommended

Yes, that matches your laptop.  As a side note, BIOS updates usually go without any problems, but I have been burnt in the past;  I always make sure I have a recent image backup of a computer before a BIOS update.  Also, the BIOS update erases all the BIOS settings, so if you changed anything make sure you write down those changes before the update.  These fixes are ongoing, so it is likely there will be more BIOS updates, Windows updates, other firmware updates, or application updates going forward.

HP Recommended

Update:

After some pondering reading and re-reading HP instructions I decided to bite the bullet and carried out the Bios security Update.

I updated from the original F.06 straight to the latest version F.22. I downloaded the update first as suggested by HP and proceeded from their. No issues or snags.

Many thanks for the help and particularly pjc123. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.