Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion-15-au620tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Im having an issue with my pavilion laptop since last OS reset. I know its not made for games but i know with the nvidia geforce 940mx i should be able to play low to medium graphics games on low settings.  Even at games were it says it can run at high graphics  im getting sudden low fps.

The issue goes as follows: Start game>constant 60fps>suddenframedrop after about half a minute> its 2fps for about 30 seconds> game goes back to 60fps> cicle repeates

I think it might be GPU or CPU throttling, or some software related issue

things i've tried

- power settings to Max Performance & Ultimate Performance

-installed new drivers 

-updated Nvidia Geforce Drivers

-set the max processor frequency of my i5 to maximum in advanced power settings

Also my battery is draining extremely fast even in power saving mode.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Wasim6,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

Let's try updating the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP Support Assistant.

To download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about Improving Video Game Performance or FPS on your PC.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

If you have an NVIDIA graphics card on your PC try the steps recommended below. 

Try going into NVIDIA Control panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Power Management > Prefer Max Performance. Then Apply, and then try running your game on battery.

Battery Performance: Seton High Performance.

* Advanced Battery Performance: Edited to use a minimal of 60% of the CPU.

If the issue still persists try performing a complete system recovery on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system recovery on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Wasim6,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

Let's try updating the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP Support Assistant.

To download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about Improving Video Game Performance or FPS on your PC.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

If you have an NVIDIA graphics card on your PC try the steps recommended below. 

Try going into NVIDIA Control panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Power Management > Prefer Max Performance. Then Apply, and then try running your game on battery.

Battery Performance: Seton High Performance.

* Advanced Battery Performance: Edited to use a minimal of 60% of the CPU.

If the issue still persists try performing a complete system recovery on your PC and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system recovery on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank You for your help. All my issues are solved after following all the steps mentioned by You. A big Thanks To You again.

HP Recommended

@Wasim6,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you ðŸ˜€

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.