Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A strange situation happened today. I bought a laptop and after 2 weeks I received an incoming call. The guy said with a very strong accent that he was from HP support and asked me a few questions (name, email, location). Then he offered to buy software for the laptop (for $ 299), but I refused, saying that it was very expensive for me. After that, he very persistently began to offer to set up my laptop remotely, completely free of charge, but for this I have to install the program. It seemed to me very suspicious and like a scam, so I said that I would think about it and call back later... I googled information about the incoming phone number and saw that he called not only me, for example here Brandon writes that he is the same called with similar sentences and the caller also had a strong accent. I'm not sure, but it looks a lot like scam 🤔🤔

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sounds like a scam for sure. NEVER allow anyone access to your PC for any reason, especially when you have not initiated the call.  That is very suspicious, indeed.

The fact that you have purchased a new laptop and someone knows about it and has your contact info is scary enough.

Just curious, when he "asked me a few questions (name, email, location)." did you give him that information?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Sounds like a scam for sure. NEVER allow anyone access to your PC for any reason, especially when you have not initiated the call.  That is very suspicious, indeed.

The fact that you have purchased a new laptop and someone knows about it and has your contact info is scary enough.

Just curious, when he "asked me a few questions (name, email, location)." did you give him that information?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Yes, I said my name and email, I hope this information is not useful to him.

I thought it was a scam and you confirmed my guesses, thank you very much!

HP Recommended

I hope no one gets caught in this scam

HP Recommended

I also received a call from this phone number! They offered to buy the "additional technical support" service for $ 99 and if I refuse, the warranty will be canceled!! That's **bleep**! I blocked it, this is definitely a scam!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.