Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I follow the instructions for getting out of S-Mode in Windows 10 exactly.  I get to the point in the Windows Store where I click on "GET" and nothing happens.  I am supposed to get a confirmation message.  I want out of S-Mode so I can use the software I want, rather than just what Microsoft sells.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Jim99223,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My model is HP Laptop 14-dk0002dx, ***edited, Product Number 7GZ76UA.   Disabling S-Mode involves the following steps: ►Settings ►Update/security ►Activation ►Switch to Windows10 Home ►Go to Store ►Switch out of S. It did not work for me on this computer. I took the issue to the Microsoft store, and they admitted it is a bug in the Windows software, not a problem with the computer. After being with two different technicians for eight hours on the telephone and after reloading Windows three times, I was finally able to get out of S-Mode on this laptop. The technician took control of my computer and used, among other things, a tool called “Defect Management.”

HP Recommended

@Jim99223,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My model is HP Laptop 14-dk0002dx, Serial Number [edit], Product Number 7GZ76UA Part of the very complicated process of getting me out of S-Mode involved using a different computer and transferring some software on a flash drive to my new HP. It worked, but now the flash does not show up on File Explorer. My HP laptop rings a bell when I plug in the flash drive, but it does not appear on File Explorer. I looked around under “Computer Management” / System Tools and found that the flash drive shows up there. How to it get it to show up on File Explorer so I can use it?

HP Recommended

Am I the only person who had this issue with S-Mode?  Microsoft admits it is a flaw in their Windows Software.  I would think everybody would be screaming about it.

HP Recommended

@Jim99223,

What is the version of Windows you are using now? (After switching from S Mode)

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Enter control panel in the Search bar and choose Control Panel from the list of results.
    USB not detected Windows 10
  2. When Control Panel opens, go to Hardware and Sound > Power Options.
    USB drive not showing up Windows 10
  3. When Power Option opens, click on Choose what the power button does.
    External hard drive not recognized Windows 10
  4. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    Windows USB not working
  5. Find Fast-Startup option and disable it.
    USB not detected
  6. Save your changes and restart your PC.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am not sure what version of Windows I'm using now, but I think it is Windows 10 Home.  How can I find out?  I have trouble understanding why most users would want to be restricted to the use of only Microsoft applications.  Apart from a slightly higher level of safety, why would anybody want to be so limited?

HP Recommended

@Jim99223,

You can type Winver in the search window and you will get the Windows version.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip.  I have Windows 10, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592) 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.