Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 13-aq1450nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I'm having a issue with the touchpad of my new HP Envy.

Like i always do with new hardware is reinstalling windows so that i can get a clean Windows experience.

Everything went well until i could not use touchpad functions (scrolling with the touchbar etc).

After a lookup in device manager i've notiched that it gave error code 19 (a registery file that is missing or corrupt).

It works clunky if i let it use a driver from Windows.

Somebody knows something?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mark0503, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you have issues with using the touchpad. Let us try to isolate the issue and resolve it-

Have you tried using the touchpad in a safe mode?

Have you tried connecting an external mouse?

Also, try reinstalling the touchpad drivers on the computer. Here is how you do it-

connect a usb Mouse where required.

Hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In the Device Manager window, expand Mice and other pointing devices.

Right-click the Synaptics device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, shutdown the notebook.

Disconnect any peripheral, including any USB Mouse.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f9 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f5, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let windows fully load for a few minutes before checking the touchpad function.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have this same problem, tried the steps you proposed and issue remains the same. I have literally just received my laptop back from HP today after sending it to you guys to have the WiFi hardware fixed, it has returned to me with a Code 19 on the touchpad

HP Recommended

@hrb93 Before panicking and thinking there’s something wrong with your hardware, try the methods mentioned below. A huge number of users have reported that they solved the problem for them, and they’re fairly easy to follow as long as you’re careful.

Method 1: Reboot your system

A lot of the errors related to the registry are temporary and appear very rarely. Due to this, there are some, albeit slim, chances that you can solve this with nothing more than a reboot.

1. Access your power menu. You can find it in the Start menu, accessible by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard.
  2. Select Restart from the menu, and wait for your system to turn on again. See if you’re facing the problem again.

Method 2: See if iTunes is causing the problem

Despite being a fairly popular piece of software, iTunes has been known to create quite a mess in the registry. If you’re using it, this might be the cause of the Code 19 problem, so it’s worth seeing if it helps.

1. Open your Control Panel by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard, typing Control Panel and opening the result.
  2. To the top right, switch to Large icons view, and locate Programs and Features, then open it by clicking on it.
  3. From the list, find iTunes and click the Repair button from the top toolbar. Follow the wizard until the end, and reboot your device. You shouldn’t be facing this issue anymore, if iTunes was the problem.

Method 3: Delete UpperFilters and LowerFilters from the registry

This is the last resort, and should be kept as such because messing up your registry can lead to problems that may require you to do a complete reinstall of your operating system. Please be careful when following the instructions in order not to damage your system.

Open the Run dialogue box by pressing simultaneously Windows and on your keyboard. Type regedit in the box and click OK. This will open the Registry Editor.

Backup the registry by opening File from the menu bar, and clicking Export. Make sure the Export Range is set to All, and save the backup file somewhere you will remember, in case something goes wrong.

Navigate to the following location by using the navigation pane on the left side:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Class

Once you’ve expanded all the aforementioned folders, click on the {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} key to select it.

From the right-hand window pane, select and delete both the UpperFilters key and the LowerFilters key. You will need to confirm both by pressing OK.

Close the Registry Editor and reboot your system for the changes to take effect.

The Code 19 error is actually much less difficult to solve than one might think. All you have to do is simply follow the instructions in the aforementioned methods and you won’t ever see this error again.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey

I tried all that yesterday. I deleted the upper and lower filters in the registry just like that and still no change. Still have a Code 19 on the touch pad.

I have a 64bit Envy 13, only had it about 6 months. When the WiFi driver hardware broke, I sent it to you guys the other week, it came back with a new WiFi driver hardware, but with a Code19 on the touch pad. Could something have gone wrong when it was being fixed by HP? Weirdly, the wifi driver continues to malfunction even with the new hardware. I have had to uninstall the driver and reboot the system multiple times, and finding it very hard to get through to HP on the phone to discuss this.

HP Recommended

@hrb93 If none of that worked, I suggest you create a backup of all personal data and initiate a system reset: click here for step,

Keep me posted with the results.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. I can’t do this because my computer is now stuck in a continuous automatic repair loop and I can’t get into Windows. Wifi driver stopped working again so I uninstalled it, shut down the computer and then rebooted and now it’s stuck in continuous automatic repair. 

HP Recommended

@hrb93 The best way to get out of the Windows Automatic Repair loop is to disable early launch anti-malware protection. You can do this from Command Prompt in the Windows Boot Options menu which will begin to appear after your restart your computer several times.

1) Navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings. Your computer will restart then present you with a list of options.

2) Choose "Disable early launch anti-malware protection".

3) Restart your PC and check if you can boot into Windows.

Keep me posted,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.