Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-AE011DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Story of how the problem started and what it is:

I have the 2018 HP Spectre x360 13 inch laptop with the model number 13-AE011DX and I have been dealing with an ongoing problem for a very long time. The problem is my trackpad. For some reason when I attempt to update my laptop with the latest Windows 10 updates it changes my trackpad driver to one that is not compatible with either the computer or with Windows 10. I've resorted to having to uninstall and reinstall a third party driver to get my laptop to even be usable. The only reason I'm even able to do this is because I have a separate mouse or a touchscreen. This is absolutely unacceptable as a laptop is useless if it's most important component for usability, the trackpad, is unusable. The problem became apparent to me back in late Winter 2018 or early Spring of 2019. I attempted to do assignments for class and I had no ability to do so because my trackpad was not working at all. This led me to the discovery of a solution someone posted on Reddit to get my $1000+ laptop to become fully functional again. The thread can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/aft1cn/got_precison_touchpad_working_again_1803_x360_and...

The problem is that this is only a temporary fix and Windows forcefully updates itself back to the faulty driver that does not work with Windows. I just don't understand why HP chooses to use Synaptics trackpad drivers when Windows precision drivers are so much smoother and easier to use. It makes zero sense. Even my old Dell inspiron laptop which was significantly cheaper than this laptop had precision drivers and it worked flawlessly for me for years. 

Here's a summary of the problem:

My Synaptics trackpad driver software for my laptop is not working and so I'm unable to use my laptop. I found a temporary fix in which I uninstall this driver and reinstall a working driver but Windows forces me to update to the driver that does not work every time I uninstall it. Therefore I am in a vicious cycle of trying to uninstall and fix where Windows wants to reinstall and break my trackpad. There is no way to disable Windows updates entirely or even selectively to avoid the specific update that breaks the trackpad so my trackpad works for 2 days then Windows forcefully updates and I have to repeat the process mentioned in the Reddit thread above all over again. This is ridiculous.

What I need:

As a last resort i'm reaching out to the forums at HP Community because I can't get any other solution and tech support is of no help anymore because they do the same thing as me but with Synaptics drivers. All i'm asking is that HP kick off Synaptics drivers from my laptop and just push an update with Windows precision drivers for my laptop because i'm tired of this vicious cycle and i'm starting to think that it's time for me to change my laptop again after just a little over a year. If I do have to buy another laptop then it definitely won't be another HP after this debacle unless this issue is resolved.

Some technical specs and information:

Update that I think is causing the problem: Synaptics - Mouse - 9/21/2018 12:00:00 AM - 19.5.10.75

O.S. : Windows 10 Home 64 bit, version 1809, 10/03/2018

Processor: Intel Core i7 8550U @1.80GHz, x64 based processor

RAM: 8.00 GB

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ahussain1

I understand your concerns and frustration

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.