Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 14-cd0087tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I haver requested  help on this issue earlier but I was possibly not very clear in what the problem really was

Here is my effort to do so again

My new laptop came installed with synaptics smbus touchpad drivers  

Synaptics Touchpad Driver (Windows 10 v1709)  version: 19.5.10.62 Rev.A

which is available as sp86732.exe  file size : 91.7 MB 

This softpaq contains the driver AND the associated software program which I will call the synaptics settings control panel

issue:  No problems ; all well 

Note:  there is not uninstall program associated with the synaptics touchpad in control panel

Next came a windows feature update(Windows 10 v1809) and HP support Assistant offered the following synaptics driver update 

Synaptics Touchpad Driver (Windows 10 v1809)  version: 19.5.10.75 Rev.D

which is available as sp92861.exe  file size : 24.1 MB 

This softpaq contains ONLY the driver (not he associated synaptics settings control panel ; this is also apparent from the file size)

Issue:  after this update drivers get installed, touchpad working (including gestures and tapping) but the synaptics setting panel is disappears from the control panel as an a tab on mouse applet properties.  I am UNABLE TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS of the touchpad.  Lived with the problem hoping the next update would solve it

Next came he (latest) windows feature update(Windows 10 v1903)  and HP support Assistant offered the following synaptics driver update 

Synaptics Touchpad Driver (Windows 10 v1903)  version: 19.5.35.41 Rev.D

which is available as sp96678.exe  file size : 24.1 MB 

This softpaq also contains ONLY the driver (not he associated synaptics settings control panel ; this is also apparent from the file size)

Issue and current position:  after this update drivers get installed, touchpad working (including gestures and tapping) but the synaptics setting panel remains disappeared from the control panel as an a tab on mouse applet properties.  I am YET UNABLE TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS of the touchpad. 

A day later Windows update pushed a driver for synaptics touchpad19.5.35.47 through (again accepted and installed  by me) but the situation remained the same

I was recommended to install  certain apps from Microsoft store in order to get the functionality of the setting control panel.  Both these apps fail to download and display an error.   There is nothing wrong with my windows store app (all other apps download and install perfectly)

I did try to reinstall the first softpaq, the one that contained the settings control and it did install properly but every subsequent driver update removes the settings panel visibility and accessibility to me  I did try to update pick up the driver only from subsequent update packs but after reboot no synaptics setting control panel .  remember - no problem with driver and default actions such as tapping and gestures but no settings panel to CHANGE them

WHAT CAN BE DONE TO RESTORE THE SYNAPTICS TOUCHPAD SETTINGS CONTOL PANEL TO WORK WITH THE LATEST DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS 10 X64 FEATURE UPDATE 1903?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@perfection161

Here's what you need to know & I appreciate the attention to details:

The control panel has moved from the mouse settings to a separate app. If you open up the start menu, and type synaptics, it'll bring up the Synaptics control panel

let me know if it doesn't or you have any other queries

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did do what you recommended but it did not work.  The Synaptics GUI settings control panel app does not appear!

HP Recommended

@perfection161

This might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, I am having the exact same problem as OP. Synaptics settings will not let me change anything. Same goes for touchpad settings in windows, theres no options to change. Is there any way to get around this until a patch is released? I really just want to set my touchpad taps to custom actions like before the 1903 windows update. thanks for all your time!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.