Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have 2 TC1100s, one works perfectly the other was bought to 'fix up'.

I connected a working power adaptor to see if the fixer would power up. It did not so I tried a working battery from my working TC1100 in the 'fixer upper' to see if that helped or at least started charging. After a few seconds of switching the machine on, I smelt burning and quickly switched the mains supply off.

Now I am wondering if the battery was the cause as I did not notice any smell of burning when I used the power adaptor on its own.

I am worried now that if I use the battery on  my good machine, I will have two dead TC1100 machines.

Is there a way of testing the battery to see if it o.k. to use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Install the battery back into the working tablet.
The problem would seem to be a system board issue. If you open up the one with the burning smell and inspect it by sight and smell you should be able to locate the failed (or failing) component.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
Can you power the working PC with the power adapter?

Take a flashlight and inspect the battery connections (on the battery itself) where it plugs into the notebook. Do you see any burns or smell anything like burnt material?

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your quick reply erico!

I have looked at the contacts on both the battery and the dead TC1100. They are all bright and do not smell of burning.

The power supply is OK and powers the working tablet.

HP Recommended
Install the battery back into the working tablet.
The problem would seem to be a system board issue. If you open up the one with the burning smell and inspect it by sight and smell you should be able to locate the failed (or failing) component.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Hi erico.

Again many thanks for your quick reply.

I shall pray to the saint of tablet PCs and put the battery back in my working TC1100

I really hope you are right about the battery. I love my TC1100 and wouldn't want it to fail!

When I have some time I will open the non-working one up and see if I can see a component that looks toasted.

Do you know of any components that would fail in this way? I should imagine the list is endless.

Kind regards,

Patrick.

HP Recommended

I have opened  my 'good' TC1100 and I have identified the chip as FP36FG FDS6982S. Which is a Dual Notebook Power Supply N-Channel PowerTrench SyncFet.

I will replace the part and see what happens. I will be a happy bunny if the tablet boots after.

HP Recommended
Sounds like a winner. How did the traces going to the MOSFET look?

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

They look OK.

The mosfet has a blackened circular ring in the middle. Hopefully there are no other problems in the circuit.

I'm no electronics wizard but I can use a multi-meter and know how to solder.

I bought a very cheap desolder station (a hot air thing) so with a very fine nozzle I should be able to lift it off. I will then use a standard low watt soldering iron to solder the new chip inplace.

I will also shiled the surrounding board so hopefully I will not damage anything else.

I am quite looking forward to this challenge!

HP Recommended

@Macflame wrote:

They look OK.

The mosfet has a blackened circular ring in the middle. Hopefully there are no other problems in the circuit.

I'm no electronics wizard but I can use a multi-meter and know how to solder.

I bought a very cheap desolder station (a hot air thing) so with a very fine nozzle I should be able to lift it off. I will then use a standard low watt soldering iron to solder the new chip inplace.

I will also shiled the surrounding board so hopefully I will not damage anything else.

I am quite looking forward to this challenge!

Great. Keep us updated!  

Best regards,

erico

HP Recommended

Ironic user name.

Be sure to let the smoke out when you are done!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.