Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP620 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The DVD drive doesn't read some CD's.  May be the audio CD's that we bought, but data CD from another computer it can read.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Michael135 

Built-in DVD drives are backwards compatible to CDs, so they actually have two lasers in them -- one for the CDs and one for the DVDs.  It is possible for either, or both, lasers to go bad, resulting in the situation that you can read one or the other, but not both.

First off, I would try the media in another PC to confirm that ALL of them can be read.

Then, I would look online for an optical drive cleaning kit.  These consist of a plastic disk with filaments sticking up from it.  When the disk spins, the filaments brush against the laser lenses, cleaning them of dirt andm gunk.  In order PCs, especially those that relied a lot on optical media, this is a quick and cheap way to get the drives working again.

IF that does not work, you're probably looking at replacing the internal optical drive -- and that can be expensive for older model laptops.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.