Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In HP Pavilion Notebooks with removable batteries how to reset the cycle count etc. to zero or to the default state as in the same state when it was bought? Have tried everything but still facing issues with battery. Currently doing wfh and batteries for our model are oos on hp's website and other websites are not delivering it here.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Cycle count is stored in the smart chip in the battery. You can't reset it unless you install a new battery.

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

Thanks. Say a chip is in battery 1, if it is replaced with battery 2 then cycle count will be shown of battery 2. How will replacing battery 1 reset its cycle count?

The reason why I wanted to reset the cycle count is because I read on reddit that doing that improves battery life in some oem batteries, though it is temporary. No way of doing it then?

Ran some tests

imgur.com/a/u3eAFJb

imgur.com/a/fih1bEs

What do you think? Why is cycle count not shown in BatteryinfoView? The designed capacity and full charge capacity is the same. It is around 4 years old laptop. How is this possible? I am just seeing less backup with the battery no other issues at all.

Also it is advisable to keep the laptop plugged in 24x7 even after the battery is charged? If yes then wouldn't the heat impact the battery or any circuit keeping it plugged 24x7?

Thanks

Edit- I am getting batteries from sellers who are not reputable. How to check whether or not they have been used earlier or not? Can HP support tell me that say a battery with this serial number/ct number was intended for this laptop and came with a laptop bearing serial number xxxx or some other details? These sellers are notorious but right now I don't have any other option.

I am also getting the genuine hp battery from a good source from some other state but there are some conditions apart from the fixed price and a long waiting period.

- The battery manufacturing date will be about 2 years back. Is it a good idea to purchase such an old manufactured battery? Will it have any adverse impact on its health?

- The guy is selling a minimum of two batteries (maybe to clear the stock, idk). So, say I get two genuine batteries which were manufactured two years back, they come with about a 40-50% charge right? Now I use one and keep one in a box, maybe it will not have ideal storage temps here but lets skip it for a second. Now will this second battery run fine after 2-3-4 or whatever years? Will I have to charge this battery, to 40-50%, once in a few months?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.