Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to have the touchpad disabled whenever an external mouse is connected. Anyone know how to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have the solution:

Click on "Start" [bottom left of Windows 10 screen]
In the Search box, type "Synaptic Pointing Device"
In the "Click Pad Settings" there is a box to check that reads: "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached"
Click that box and it will disable the touchpad on the HP ENVY x360.

You can test that by trying the touchpad with the mouse installed and with it not installed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Deaconrichard, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Double-tapping the upper-left hand corner of the TouchPad enables or disables the TouchPad. When disabled, some models display a graphic on the screen showing the TouchPad with a red line through it.

TouchPad with red line through it

An amber light illuminates briefly if the computer supports this feature. There might also be an audible sound.

You may watch this video for a better understanding. This applies to HP Envy notebooks too.

Note: This video is not from HP but from a third party channel on YouTube.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the solution:

Click on "Start" [bottom left of Windows 10 screen]
In the Search box, type "Synaptic Pointing Device"
In the "Click Pad Settings" there is a box to check that reads: "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached"
Click that box and it will disable the touchpad on the HP ENVY x360.

You can test that by trying the touchpad with the mouse installed and with it not installed.

HP Recommended

@Deaconrichard

Glad to know that you found a solution and the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Capture.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.