Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 13 x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been trying to fix a problem with the touchpad in which it only occationally worked, one of the top results for "fixes" I found on google resulted in the Synaptics driver getting uninstalled. I've updated the driver in device manager but nothing happens as it says that I have the newest driver available. I tried doing a hard reset and updating the driver through Windows update but nothing came of it and of course the function buttons. As a last resort I formatted the PC but that didn't fix it either. There used to be an icon in the system tray for Synaptics which had various settings, that's gone and didn't even re-appear after I formatted. The touchpad doesn't work and neither does a USB mouse, so I'm having to navigate everything using the touchscreen at the moment. 

I'd wager that all I need is the same program or driver as I had previously but I can't find it anywhere online, at least not on any site I trust. 

Installed "HP Support Assistant" to see if there were any drivers on there... but no, nothing. Tried finding a someone from HP to chat to but there's nothing, at least not for my country. 

Anyone know where I can find the Synaptics touchpad driver/program that has all the settings and options? 

When I open device management and find the "Synaptics SMBus Touchpad" and click on it the device status message says "This device can't start (kode: 10)  the request isn't an allowed option for the device" (sorry for the wonky language, I have to translate it as it's not in english on the pc). It also says "placement: connected to PS/2-mouseport".  The "Synaptics SMBus Touchpad" entry also has a yellow ! sign on it, I tried updating the driver and it says I have the newest one installed. Before I formatted the entry for touchpad said something along the lines of "this device doesn't work properly".

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Feræringr,

Have you tried checking with a different external mouse?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

As you have reinstalled the windows and the since issue still persists, it certainly sounds like a hardware issue with the PC.

However, try few steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Check if the touchpad is disabled. 

On some touchpads, you can turn on or off the touchpad by double tapping in the upper left corner of the touchpad. Double tap to turn the touchpad on, repeat to turn the touchpad off.

Refer this article to know more information about using the touchpad. Click Here

Lastly, try running a touchpad test under component test from the system diagnostics page and check if the product is functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running a system diagnostics test on the PC. Click Here

If you still have issues after trying out the steps. Please contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Let me know if this helps! 
Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.