Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-da0042tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I can't get my laptop to recognize my Note 10 + when plugged into USB 3.0 port, it works fine on the USB 2.0 port. When I plug the mobile into my old laptop (Pavilion DV6) USB 3.0 port it works fine. 

I get the error "the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it". In device manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers it says " Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed).

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling all the USB controller drivers including the root hub, used the HP support assistant to update software including BIOS and drivers, Reset BIOS to default.

I tried plugging my phone into another HP laptop that was a couple of years old and had the same result. It appears to be an issue with newer model HP laptops. But when my sister plugs her S9 into the port it works fine. So I don't know where the issue lies.

Any help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Ryan83 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to connect the mobile device to the USB 3.0.

Please follow the below steps and check for the issue.

Please Change the Power Management setting for the USB Root Hub.

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter

2. Click the down arrow to expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right-click USB Root Hub option and click Properties.

3. Go to the Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK.

If you have more USB Root Hubs, you need to repeat this operation a couple of times. Please remember to click OK after each performance.

After the settings, plug your USB device back in to see if your computer is able to recognize it. 

Also, Change the USB selective suspend settings

1. Go to Control Panel and click Power Options.

2. Click Change plan settings

3. Click Change advanced power settings.

4. Expand USB settings and USB selective suspend settings

5.. Disable both On battery and Plugged in settings.

6. Click Apply and OK. 

let me know how that pans out,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I tried changing the settings you mentioned, hasn't made a difference.

HP Recommended

@Ryan83

Thank you for the update.

Please see if the USB 3 driver directly from Intel works for you.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22824&lang=eng

The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

The link you provided does not work, " Internal server error".

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi link you provided is for windows 7, when I try run it it says my operating system is not supported.

HP Recommended

@Ryan83

Have you tried the different devices to USB 3.0 port?

Please perform the USB port test and check.

1. Power off the PC and make sure that it is completely powered off.

2. Press the power button and the moment you press the power button immediately start tapping F2 key, you should see the system diagnostics screen.

3. Look for a component test, under that all the hardware will be listed, please choose USB and initiate the quick test.

Note: If it fails it will generate 24 digits alphanumeric failure id, please capture that.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Worked out it was the cable I was using, thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@Ryan83 That's awesome, I'm glad it worked,

Let us know if you need anything else.

And have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.