rjg202
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

USB-C Gen 1 Data only what can I use it for

Pavillion 15-CS0064ST
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What can I do with the usb-c 3.1 Gen 1 data only?  I was told I could add a monitor via usb-c with a cable  but I don't think that is the case.  I can add one via hdmi port but was told I could add 2, one to HDMI and one to USB-C.

If that is not the case what value does it add, other than a hub for usb-3 ports?

3 REPLIES 3
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,121 3,234
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @rjg202 

Your suspicions are right. The USB-C port on that model laptop is nothing more than a USB 3.1 port for data only. It is not wired for HDMI or Displayport.

The only way you could add a 2nd external monitor to a USB port is with a special converter/adapter.

Here is an example of a converter... https://sewelldirect.com/learning-center/usb-to-hdmi

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
rjg202
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks,  unfortunately Sewell no longer sells these,  I called and there is no replacement.  Would you know if another manufacturer exists?  I saw Dell Display ports,   It sounds like it needs a video card to convert the data to video which hopefully my laptop can handle.  Also,  the usb-c port  could I plug a hub into that with usb-3.0 ports and possibly plug a docking type device into it?  I did order one elsewhere but it did not work,  It installed some billboard software and never saw the monitor.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,121 3,234
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This one looks like it will work. You can Google search USB 3 to HDMI and get all kinds of results.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Windows/dp/B00BPEV1XK

I would connect this to a USB3 port, then if needed, connect your USB C port to a USB hub for additional ports.

Will the converter work through a hub? Probably not. Keep it on its own dedicated port.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation