Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 convertable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I unplugged my steel series wireless adapter this morning like I usually do, and then the computer started to make the unplug and replug in sounds and kept on popping up with a device has been disconnected and then reconnected notifications. I then restarted to the computer and this issue stopped, however, the USB has ceased to work entirely. When I open up the device manager, the only device under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is Intel(r) USB 3.0 eXstensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) and it has the 

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

I have tried to update it, I have run the troubleshooter, I have installed the drivers and restarted the computer, I have restored to a previous version and nothing has worked.  There are no upperfilters or lowerfilters to delete.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Crayon02

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?

Use the following steps to uninstall USB Root Hubs:
Sometimes it may be necessary to uninstall all the USB Mass Storage Devices including the hidden ones

1. Disconnect all USB devices connected to the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

The Device Manager window opens.

3. Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.

Figure : Universal Serial Bus controllers list in Device Manager window

Universal Serial Bus controllers list in Device Manager window
  4. Right-click the first USB Root Hub in the list, then select Uninstall.

Figure : Uninstall selection in the Device Manager window

Uninstall selection in the Device Manager window

Click OK to confirm.

5. Continue uninstalling all USB Root Hubs listed.

6. Close Device Manager and restart the computer.

7. If the USB device that is having problems came with software, and it was not previously installed, install the software now, following the manufacturer instructions.

8. Reconnect the USB device that was having problems and test it to see if it works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.