Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario V5000
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi,

I am in need of the USB driver for an older laptop that I have.  It is a Compaq Presario V5000.  I believe official support for this model has ended but was wondering if the driver was still available somewhere.

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what the problem could be then.

However, if your V5000 is one of the models that has an Intel processor and chipset, see if installing the chipset driver and restarting the PC allows you to format the USB flash drive.

This package contains the Intel Chipset Installation Utility for the listed operating systems. The Intel Chipset Installation Utility installs the .INF files on the target notebook. These files indicate to the operating system how the chipset components are to be configured.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp32501-33000/sp32555.exe 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no standalone USB driver for the USB port.

Have you installed Windows XP SP3?

That should have built in USB support.

Does your notebook have an Intel or AMD processor?

If it has an Intel processor, I can probably find the Intel chipset driver for your PC.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

SP3 is installed.  A bit of background: the reason I am hoping to reinstall the USB controller is that I'm having Windows tell me that a USB drive that I'm plugging in needs to be formatted (it's already formatted).  It then throws an error if I tell it to proceed with formatting.

I was following these steps, per Microsoft, which recommended uninstalling and reinstalling the controller.

Happy to pursue another avenue of approach if you think there may be a better one.

Thanks very much for your response.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what the problem could be then.

However, if your V5000 is one of the models that has an Intel processor and chipset, see if installing the chipset driver and restarting the PC allows you to format the USB flash drive.

This package contains the Intel Chipset Installation Utility for the listed operating systems. The Intel Chipset Installation Utility installs the .INF files on the target notebook. These files indicate to the operating system how the chipset components are to be configured.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp32501-33000/sp32555.exe 

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul!  I'm accepting this answer as the solution since you provided the correct drivers.

Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem, but given that my post was about the driver itself, I'm marking it as solved.

Thank you again for your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Sorry that the driver didn't work to get the flash drive formatted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.