Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Dv7-6165us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Just another Windows 7 reboot causing most of my drivers to go missing. I got them all back except for a USB controller driver which allows my two left USB ports to work.

I just need

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&SUBSYS_3593103C&REV_03

and sort of related, this laptop was a handmedown and had been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. When I got it and I booted Windows 7 back onto it. Somewhere along these many switches the laptop lost the ability to do anything related to System Repair or System Restore. I can't even factory reset it which is why I have to manually reinstall Windows 7 onto this laptop anytime something goes wrong with it. Anything I can download to fix this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Go to the Windows Control Panel>System & Security>System>On the left side of the window, click on Advanced System Settings.

Click on the System Protection tab.  That window will open and Protection settings should be turned on.

That has to be on so you can use the system restore utility.

Recovery is turned off because there is nothing connected to the recovery partition to make it work.

So...What I would do if I were you...

Get a portable hard drive with storage space large enough to back up your entire PC.

Install a free backup utility such as Macrium Reflect and periodically make system images so that if something goes wrong, you can easily go back to the last image you made to restore your PC.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

The software will also have you create a rescue disk you boot from to access the system image on the hard drive.

That way you don't have to clean install W7 every time something goes wrong.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Download and install the amd chipset drivers from the link below and restart the PC.

You want the 1st file listed on the webpage...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy4&os=Windows%207%20-%2064

That will take care of the usb controller.

The other issue...when W10 was installed, it wiped out the recovery manager program, so you can't factory reset the notebook.

The recovery partition is useless, so you may as well delete it and reclaim the disk space.

Is the system restore utility turned on in the advanced system settings menu in the control panel?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the link! My usb ports work again at last! This time I'm saving the file in my external so I dont have to do this again.

As for the system restore utility I can't find a place other than the System Protection tab that says whether it's off or on but there is a folder called Recovery that is turned off.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Go to the Windows Control Panel>System & Security>System>On the left side of the window, click on Advanced System Settings.

Click on the System Protection tab.  That window will open and Protection settings should be turned on.

That has to be on so you can use the system restore utility.

Recovery is turned off because there is nothing connected to the recovery partition to make it work.

So...What I would do if I were you...

Get a portable hard drive with storage space large enough to back up your entire PC.

Install a free backup utility such as Macrium Reflect and periodically make system images so that if something goes wrong, you can easily go back to the last image you made to restore your PC.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

The software will also have you create a rescue disk you boot from to access the system image on the hard drive.

That way you don't have to clean install W7 every time something goes wrong.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.