Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion cc-037na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion cc-037na

Windows 10(64 bit)

I have a wireless mouse and my USBs are normally fine, but when I plug in a USB Hard Drive, it works for a few minutes then all USB ports stop working. When the ports stop working, in USB Root Hub properties in Device manager it says Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). USB Hub failed to reset. If I disable and re-enable the USB Root Hub, it works for a few minutes then stops again.

I have disabled selective suspend, but it still happens.

Both devices work OK simultaneously on a different Windows 10 (64bit) computer.

I am not sure whether it is hardware or software, but probably software so I have posted this on the software board. Please correct me if it is the incorrect board (this is my first post).

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Will8192

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers & meet like minded tech enthusiasts! 

As I understand the USB Hub failed to reset error appears on the screen

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

• Have you attempted to update the BIOS & Chipset drivers from the HP website?
    • If not, Click here to find and install the same.

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do,

I have a list of steps to help resolve your concern: 

• Before you begin 

• Troubleshooting steps 

• USB device not detected by Windows (no device name in Device Manager) - Skip this step.

• USB storage device is not shown in Safely Remove Hardware window 

• Front USB ports do not work on a desktop computer. 

• The mouse responds slowly, if at all 

•  USB 2.0 Device Does Not Work When Connected to a USB 3.0 Port 

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If the issue persists, check the experts opinion as it seems to have helped others: Click here

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So, I installed the BIOS and chipset drivers and did the troubleshooting apart from the most drastic options - restore the computer etc.

It didn't work so I installed the usb view utility from the windows sdk. When the USB ports stopped working again, I accessed it and saw this (fully expanded)Capture.PNG

So no ports shown.

In device manager:

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

It does not show 'USB Hub Failed to Reset'  so I guess that's an improvement. Should there be drivers????

Thanks in advance and sorry for the delay in replying.

HP Recommended

@Will8192

Thank you for responding,

better late than never! I'm glad your back.

That said, I suggest you create a new user account and check if the USB ports work on it,

If this is a corrupt file, the new user account should fix the issue, you may then, simple transfer the files from the old account to the new one.

If the issue persists, you may want to create a backup of all your personal data and perform a push button resets: Click here for steps.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge victorious)

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.