Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Sleekbook 15 B108SY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop currently has F.1D (released in 2016) and I want to downgrade to F.1C (released in 2014) due to this issue, there's no video output of the BIOS (or any menu) over HDMI just "No Signal" on the screen I'm using. (I used 2 different screens as well). I can only get video output when I'm in the OS itself. I don't remember this behavior happening on the original BIOS version before the F.1D update. I tried using HP's UEFI Support Environment (version 5.2.4.0) to downgrade the BIOS from F.1D to F.1C, but I got this error on screen:

"Unable to open BIOS Signature file."

I tried using different USB drives to get it to install, but the same error showed up. I also tried the Win+B shortcut on boot with the power supply and battery attached (I also tried doing this with the power supply and battery removed, then plugging in the power supply and holding the power button for a second, then letting the key and buttons go), but the only thing that happened was that I saw the laptop turn on, but the backlight was not lighting up, the fan was spinning like usual and there were no beeps. I heard on other sites that the Caps Lock light would blink to indicate issues, but since the Caps Lock light on my keyboard doesn't work anymore, I can't see any blinks (I tried using a USB keyboard to see if that would help, but still, no lights were blinking).

Is it possible to somehow force a downgrade on the BIOS to fix the video output?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Just to prove that this is the correct version

Setup 1.png

Setup 2.png

And that it was meant to work with my laptop

But:

Via app.png

And the error from the UEFI Support Environment:

IMG_20210411_190516.jpg

HP Recommended

Bad news is, I don't have the original BIOS backed up on any USB or anything, so far, I'm stuck with F.1D

HP Recommended

@b108sy 

Here's the link to the product page where you can see and download the files:  https://support.hp.com/lt-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-touchsmart-15-b100-sleekbook/5330569/mo...

The problem is that HP does not carry BIOS files for Windows 10 for your model laptop; instead, they only carry files for Windows 8.

However, Since the HP BIOS update routines are OS-version specific, you can't run them under Windows 10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I had tried Windows 8.1 too, still, no luck. (I don't think I can find an ISO of Windows 8.0 (the original W8) anywhere online)

HP Recommended

I also have tried re-upgrading from F.1D to F.1D to see if I can see the BIOS on my secondary screen... It didn't get fixed. 😐

HP Recommended

@b108sy 

All I can offer is this link that will point you to Win8.1 ISOs -- but there is a limited set and these are installer images, so while you can boot from them, I don't think you can run from them:  

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click the Download: Windows-ISo-Download.exe link. This will download that file to your PC. Double-click that file to run it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.