Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistance stopped to working. As I see in instruction, I have to install a new version of application from web. I downloaded it. But when I start to install, system has started first to uninstall old version and asked me for a CD. I don't have any CD of application. What I have to do?

Thanks,

Valter

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@valterk 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

Important Information about the HP Support Assistant

The HP Support Assistant "Application" is available on certain hardware models (newer notebooks).

"Everyone" else will get the "software" version.

The two types of HPSA - application or software - provide the same functions.

One is not "better" than the other.

The software version of the HPSA is NOT compatible with the Application type.

You cannot expect to have both types on the computer at the same time.

(This should n not happen and is mentioned "just in case".)

What?  Software?  Application?

There are two "flavors" of HP Support Assistant.

HP Support Assistant Software, when installed, is located in Programs and Features

HP Support Solutions Framework (companion software to HPSA), when installed, is located in Programs and Features

Side Bar:

If / When completely uninstalling HPSA, uninstall the HP Support Assistant first, then the HP Support Solutions software.

This is version 8.8.x

After the software is uninstalled, Restart the computer and log in

==============================================================

OR

For systems that can support the newer "application" version,

HP Support Assistant Application, when installed, is located in Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

At this writing, the application is likely version 9.6.x

After the application is uninstalled, Restart the computer and log in

What is different?

The application version of the HPSA provides a different GUI (Graphics User Interface).  Some people like it better because the format / layout is similar to other mobile applications.

At this writing, there are few "under the hood" differences that would impact the ability of the HPSA to do its job.

Where / How to download and install HP Support Assistant?

The main download process at the homepage for the HP Support Assistant automatically selects the appropriate HP Support Assistant for your machine.

Important

"You" don't get a choice - the type (software or application) of the HP Support Assistant installed is determined by your computer's hardware and Windows version.

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Partial excerpt from the Website:

“Ready to go on your HP PC

HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.”

• After download:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What else?

Reminder:  We have absolutely no control, access, or influence on the HP Support Assistant.

Our sole ability to help you resolve the issue is limited (really) to removing (uninstalling) the software / application and then installing a new copy of the software / application.

If nothing works,

That is, you cannot fix the situation by updating your Windows Updates and (manually updating your) HP Software and Drivers , 

What else?

Consider:

Your business class system supports its own update and software manager.

Business Class Software Update Managers

Client Management Solutions - Overview

HP Client Management Solutions support most HP commercial desktops, notebooks, and workstations.

Client Management Solutions – Manageability Tools

Available Tools and what they can do for you

Examples

Single System Management Software – HP Image Assistant

Many newer business (commercial) computers are supported in the HP Image Assistant management grade software. 

At this writing: If your computer was manufactured before the EOL date for the Software Download Manager, you can choose to use (or continue using) SDM.

HPIA Information and Download

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Scroll to the bottom of the Website for additional information and links.

HP Image Assistant is a free tool that aids IT Administrators improve the quality and security of their PC Windows image by diagnosing the image, identifying problems, recommending solutions, and analyzing their PC’s readiness for migration between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

HP Image Assistant can be downloaded at the HP Manageability website.

HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

From the Image Assistant Web page:

Example

HPIA_V4.5.8.1_Download-Install_2HPIA_V4.5.8.1_Download-Install_2

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ProBook 450 G5 Notebook PC 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for answer. But I still don't know how to solve a problem. I would like to explain more.

Before I had  HP Support Assistant and it worked perfectlly.

valterk_0-1601276784711.png

valterk_1-1601276784720.png

I still have HPSA  in system

valterk_2-1601276784724.png

Bur when I try to open HPSA, just initial screean appears and after few seconds disappears.

When I try to install again, CD is required, like you can see in picture below.

valterk_3-1601276784732.png

What I have to do to install HPSA again? Many tnaks for answer.

Regards, Valter

HP Recommended

@valterk 

The version of the HPSA assistant application that is currently installed on your system appears to be version 8.7.50.3

HPSA version 8.7.50.3 is apparently an older version (release date December 2018). 

In so much that I can tell from the little information I have on it, this version of HPSA is "software" and not "application.

What?

You might be able to extract this older version from its home in Programs and Features.

Software installs in Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Scroll down, find, click on the HP Support Assistant > Uninstall

Next

Scroll down, find, click on the HP Support Solutions > Uninstall

After the software is uninstalled, Restart the computer and log in.

When your program is an Application...

Applications install in Settings >Apps > Apps and Features

Settings Apps Apps and Features

Scroll down, find, click on the application > Uninstall

After the application is uninstalled, Restart the computer and log in.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

System doesn't allow to uninstall HPSA. It requires CD (Insert the "HP Support Assistant" disk and click OK) I don't have it. How can than I uninstall HSPA?

Brg Valter

valterk_1-1601371940414.png

HP Recommended

@valterk 

When possible,

Software should normally be uninstalled from Programs and Features as previously described.

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features 

First uninstall HP Support Assistant

Restart the computer and log in

Next, uninstall HP Support Solutions

Restart the computer and log in

If software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

OR

Revo Uninstaller (Free version)

OR, Alternative download source for Revo-Free

Source  https://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

Once the HPSA and the companion HP Solutions Support software is removed, then download-save-install the new version of the HP Support Assistant.  Installing the HPSA automatically installs the HP Support Solutions software.

If the software will not install even using an uninstaller, you will have to reinstall Windows to get rid of it.

It is not the first time this has happened, though it is uncommon.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.