Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook 15s-fq1003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to uninstall a few of the apps on my newly purchased notebook.  Think I am about where I want to be but when it came to the Xbox Game Bar, the uninstall option was greyed out.  I tried going into advanced options but didn't really get anywhere, I tried terminating the app and also turned off a load of the permissions; when I still couldn't uninstall I did a restart only to find the app was still there and the permissions had been re-enabled.  Having already uninstalled another Xbox related app without problem am not sure why I am struggling.  Advice would be most welcome.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply Dragon-Fur and for your suggestion which I have followed up on.  As you say, not as neat as an uninstall, but certainly a lot better than before! Thanks again.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Joyvid 

Some of the apps do not provide uninstall utilities so they simply can not be removed the standard way.

With recent Win10 versions, MS has added X-box services that start by default.  You may have to go into Services and disable the ones related to X-box before you can remove the apps.

If that does not work, then you have to resort to third-party uninstallers, and those cost money.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood 

@Joyvid 

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

I just found XBox Game Bar on a new system.

Never even looked for it - system is still "relatively" standard.

Found Xbox in Settings > Gaming > XBox Game Bar

Xbox Game Bar can be disabled / switched off

I realize that is not the same as having it "gone" - but it does solve the immediate problem of having the Game Bar underfoot.

Having noticed it, I have switched "Off" Xbox Game Bar

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks ever so much for your reply WAWood, I so grateful to be able to turn to the community for help.  I followed your advice, had a look in Services and spotted four XBox related items, e.g. XBox Accessory Management, I right clicked on each but none seemed to offer a disable option, so I am a bit unsure (the pause, stop options were greyed out).  For the time being, I have therefore followed the other suggestion offered to just turn it off.   Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply Dragon-Fur and for your suggestion which I have followed up on.  As you say, not as neat as an uninstall, but certainly a lot better than before! Thanks again.

HP Recommended

So sorry, just had another look and spotted that within Services for each item you can right click and select properties and that within there you can choose to disable on start up.  I did that for each of the four Xbox items, but unfortunately, as you suspected, this still didn't allow a subsequent uninstall.  Definitely worth a try though, thanks!

HP Recommended

@Joyvid 

You are welcome.

Your question did pique my interest - I am not a gamer nor do I have need of Xbox; it was a good opportunity to take a look at the setup.

Thanks for posting back - your comments might help someone else curious about the same subject.

Generally, at least in many cases, "added value" software is quite compact (small in size).  After you switch off (or disable) the app, you can ignore it.  NOTE:  This is just an opinion, mostly blather, ignore if you don't agree.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to show appreciation for the help.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find a solution.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Joyvid 

Disabling is sufficient such that the X-box things do not bother you anymore.  Since these are preloaded by MS as integral parts of the OS, they generally do NOT provide any means to uninstall them.

There are third-party uninstallers that claim to be able to remove anything, but that risks corrupting the underlying OS components -- so I would advise against using them.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.