Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion X360 AMD8
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a n HP Pavillion X360 Model13-a010nr Convertible Laptop with an AMD8 processor that will not boot to Windows.  When it tries to boot, I get a blue screen frown and then it goes to auto repair which takes me to a Troubleshoot page.  None of the Advanced Options: Startup Repair, Uninstall Updates or System Restore work.  Using ESC on startup I can get to the "Startup Menu" where I can check both Memory and Hard Drive and both test OK.  I am now attempting to update the BIOS and have downloaded the correct BIOS "sp8735.exe" from the HP website using a second computer. All goes according to the HP video when I run this file until the file "winflash.exe" is written to my USB drive.  According to the HP Video, additional windows should open up immediately after this file is written to allow me to make additional selections and then create some .bin files but that doesn't happen... Nothing happens other than this "winflash.exe" fill being written to the USB drive.  If I try to execute the "winflash.exe" file that was written to my USB drive, nothing happens. At this point, I'm stuck.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed to update the BIOS?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Jim0049 

Automatic booting to auto repair is nearly always a Windows Update related problem and that is a Windows file system issue.

The BIOS has nothing to do with that and forcing an update is NOT going to fix it.  Why does everyone seem to think that BIOS updates are miracle cures for any failed PC??

Bluescreen failures (i.e., BSODs) are notoriously difficult to diagnose and to fix -- far beyond what WE typically can do in THIS self-help Community.

You have a couple of different options to chose from ...

--------------------

The first is that of specialized forums where where folks have vast experience troubleshooting, diagnosing, and suggesting repairs for BSODs.

The community Win10 forums has a section devoted to diagnosing BSODs. So, your best bet would be to post your problem there: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/
--------------------

The second is using free software to examine the logs that BSODs produce. This app is known as bluescreenview and is available from NirSoft, from here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You will then have to go online to do searches with that information to get further suggestions about what to do.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Accepted WAWood's advice to abandon BIOS update but still not sure what is going on with this laptop.  HD checks good on multiple tests, Memory checks good on multiple short and long tests. I've attempted 2 clean installs of Windows 10 which appear to go well.  After reinstall, however, the computer works well for 5 to 15 minutes but will blue screen during use.  After blue screen, it will boot up again after self repair but I always get another blue screen of death shortly after it boots up.  I don't know how to proceed other than trashing what has till now been a great laptop.  Windows recommends updating BIOS prior to Windows 10 installation but as stated in my original post, I'm unable to figure out how do the BIOS update.  

HP Recommended

@Jim0049 

As I mentioned, BSODs are beyond our capability to diagnose, so if you post to Tenforums, they will be able to help.

As to the BIOS updates, it seems MS is one of those who believe BIOS updates solve everything -- which would be OK if they did not risk trashing the PC in the process and there were newer BIOS versions for the older PCs, which there are not.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.