Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14-ax000 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows10 is telling me that there is a 10gb update it needs to install, but then that i don't have enough memory (as you only get 32gb on the laptop).  I've bought a 64gb SD card but i still don't seem to be able to get it to do the update.  Does anybody know  how to get round the issue and get windows 10 to update and use the SD Card?

I've already told it windows to do a reset and delete all the data and start again but it didn't create enough space to complete the update.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

another option:

1. Go and download the media creation tool from Microsoft: http://microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  2. Run MediaCreationTool.exe
  3. Click Upgrade this PC now
  4. Select Keep personal files and apps
HP Recommended

This doesn't work for me.  I still get the error essage saying I do not have enough disk space.

HP Recommended

@ArthurClyde wrote:

This doesn't work for me.  I still get the error essage saying I do not have enough disk space.

You shouldn't hijack someone else's thread unless you have the same laptop.

Did you bother clearing out all your data and uninstalling all the programs on the laptop except for the anti-virus.

You essentially cannot have anything on the laptop except Windows.

You data files go on the microSD card.

HP Recommended

I have the same exact problem on my Stream 13. Similar to the 11 & the 14.

Insufficient memory for the update BUT not MY files that are the reason.

The reason is that Windows has swollen to over twice it's original downloaded size. This is despite compression etc.

What I therefore need to know is which WINDOWS files are not important - so that I can delete them and make room.

I have already posted on here somewhere. I received a reply promising me another reply. Nothing materialised. Would I have to pay for this information?

Is this Forum run by HP or is it independent of them?

There must surely be queues of people withn the same problem. I keep getting warnings that I must do this update.

It seem that it could be done with a Windows ISO image copy but MS are reluctiant to issue these as it would aid piracy?

So where do I go to from here. The most I have ever cleared is 6Gb. It's soon swollen back up to the 26Gb it is today. {MS counting BTW shows 28Gb much less that 32GB max it is supposed to be. So I have 2Gb to do just as I like with!

Nearly all my stuff (extra Apps x 2) are installed on the removeable disk. Only MS stuff is on he main drive C:\

So how do we shame HP into a reaction? This makes this little Lap-top unsutable to the purpose for which I bought it!

Not good enough HP - Not good enough MS.

I am putting together an article for the daily papaers on this.

Sincerely,

B. Greene

HP Recommended

TO MS

MS and HP are useless at helping me with the latest WIN10 upgrade. Yet this is a security issue and you keep badgering me. Latest threat is must be done by April , THE PROBLEM: Not enough C:\ drive space. I cannot reduce the OpSys enough to make the room. My Apps are installed on the D:\ drive! You won't supply an ISO print that would allow me to do this as it is open to licence abuse. So I am stuck UNLESS you can tell me which WINdows files I can safely delete while leaving a sufficient OS to carry out the upgrade, It's not good enough that the OS should swell to 3 times its original size. The most space I have made is 6Gb on C:\ and you need 8Gb. It soon swells back up and occupies all but about 3Gb of my drive. How idiotic is that? Not suited to the purpose IMHO. Tell me would LINUX be any better on these machines? Has anyone experience of doing that? I feel trapped and with only the daily papers left to complain to. If you can help me then please do so.

Sincerely, Berry Greene,

HP Recommended

Run Disk Cleaner and remove previous Windows 10 updates.

If you don't know how, Google.

This will clean several GB off that hard drive.

As I wrote elsewhere, I have Windows 10 1709 running on my Lenovo 120S with 32 GB eMMC hard drive.

HP Recommended

The ONLY thing that FINALLY worked on my HP Stream 14. Just remember to save anything you want beforehand, as this is a clean install. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Not-enough-disk-space-to-even-u...

HP Recommended

First of all a big thanks for your trouble.

I think you are correct but I could not make it work MAYBE because I didn't use another machine and I didn't know how to extract the WIN Activtion code from the BIOS. Now that I know both I will copy & keep your text for the next time.  I say that because I managed the upgrade somehow by writing a stinking letter on the HP/MS Forum - At least I think that is what tipped it into working !!

I had removed every possible thing from my C:\ drive (Anti-virus & Mozilla)  All my other Apps are on the D:\ drive.

I reduced the virtual memory to Zero. Disk cleaned for umpteenth time. Disabled and deleted Sytemen Restore area & files.

The System was then rather unstable but although I had the 8Gb in ordinary count - not so in MS count. That's when I let rip at them. Not sure if that was the reason but a few hours later the system claimed to be doing the upgrade. It took 16-18 hours!!!! I was locked out of the machine but told to keep it powerd.  Now it is done.

However, I really need to master that ISO download and side load clean install you mention.

I do have another machine but I was trying to do the download on the Stream. That might also be a critical step.  The use of another machine. MS don't want activated copies floating about do they? For obvious reaons. That maybe another reason that I found making an ISO files so difficult.

There is ,however, another thing that really galls me here. Don't you think it should be HP who is looking after its customers in this instance? That it should  do so even if the the warrenty has expired? (Just - in my case). This is a an INTEL chip fault.  A hole in the design that dates over 10 years. Between them, they are culpable for what will be a slower than before "work-around" solution. These huge companies can't just take profits ALL the time now can they? So why on earth didn't HP publish this procedure in  order to get around the problem instead of leaving me and my like to struggle with repeated requests to upgrade AND even MS threats to withdraw support by April if we didn't?

I Have one more thing to say here. Has anyone managed to install UBUNTU on a Stream? I have a bootable UB V16.04 USB memory stick. It boots OK but I just cannot get it on-line! It wants the Router code but I cannot get it to function. The other local WiFi beacons are all reported as is mine, but it just refuses to connect. Have you any ideas?

UBUNTU would solve this problem for the remaining life of these HP Stream machines.

Thankyou very much. That was very enlightening.

BerryG 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.