Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
01-25-2021 05:11 AM - edited 02-22-2021 12:14 PM
My question is pretty straight forward:
1. Is there a way (without removing the battery) to have the laptop running only on its power brick without charging the battery ( or only charging to certain point like 80%).
2. Is there a way (like modding the bios) to get the feature to limit the battery charge to like 80%, as far as I know, it was possible on some older Laptops but isn't currently supported anymore.
3. I don't want your opinion on battery life maximisation or it not being a problem. I just want to know if it is possible.
02-02-2021 07:47 PM
I am not totally sure but I don't think it is possible to do what you describe, but as long as the laptop is plugged in after the battery is charged it won't drain the battery as long as your connected to power.
Long time HP user owner and supporter
02-08-2021 11:31 PM
Hi @Julian_Mörk , Guten Tag,
Check in the BIOS if there is an option for Battery Care Function that should allow you to select 80%
Review the following message in the forum:
The BIOS option should look like the next screenshot from the expert @Photoray002
* Click on KUDOS thumbs up to say thanks,
* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.
@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.
02-09-2021 05:56 AM - edited 02-09-2021 06:13 AM
If the option in the bios is missing for Battery Care Function as per the image above, are you on the latest bios update?
Should be version F.15. sp111273.exe. There were quite a few fixes along the way that will be included with the newest version. Normally I don't advocate updating bios, but with the Thermal and cpu power fixes included, I would consider it.
If you have the latest F.15 and no joy, we wont know of an fix being made. HP is quiet about such things are per TOS policy.
There is no Mod that I know of to access a locked HP bios. If I had one, HP would not allow me to post it anyway. I'm sorry.
02-09-2021 09:28 AM
Found this while searching... https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06310986
Apparently the new battery optimization reduces the charge based on usage automatically. No manual control on percentage though.
All you can do with it is check to see if its Enabled and Activated (notes in the link above).
02-18-2021 07:50 AM
Ha, ha your question is anything BUT straightforward, what with all your conditions and exceptions.
But to answer: Lenovo has such feature, to never charge the battery above 60%, from within Windows, so HP has got to have a similar option/app/downloadable program, because HP is far more engineer-ish than Lenovo.
02-22-2021 02:52 AM
The question IS very straightforward, I understand why, and I am sorry that you had to add the sidenotes (and still get replies that don't understand).