Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G56129-WM
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Runs as a service on Win7 (HP Support Solutions Framework Service), uses substantial CPU ... no obvious inherent value.  Inclined to put it out of my misery.  Google finds nothing enlightening.  SSF = Support Solutions Framework?

Accompanied by HPSSFUpdater.exe ... Did not consciously launch either of them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What is HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe?

The genuine HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe file is a software component of HP Support Assistant by Hewlett-Packard.
HP Support Assistant is an application that provides troubleshooting, contextual support, and program updates for desktops and laptops manufactured by HP. HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe runs a core process that is associated with the HP Support Assistant. This is not an essential Windows process and can be disabled if known to create problems. 

HPSSFUpdater.exe is not essential for the Windows OS and causes relatively few problems. The file HPSSFUpdater.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files (x86)" (for instance C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\Modules\)

HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe process in Windows Task Manager

Uninstalling this variant: If you have any problems with HPSSFUpdater.exe, you can remove the entire program HPAsset component for HP Active Support using Windows Control panel.

Please ensure you Uninstall  HP Support Framework and HP Support Assistant in Control Panel>Programs and Features.

Then, Reinstall the latest version from this link

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-self-support.html

Let me know how it goes!

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@BillM6,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand you are in need of support, I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

What version of HP Support Assistant is installed on your PC?

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the latest version from HP website?

Solution 1:

Uninstall  HP Support Framework and HP Support Assistant in Control Panel>Programs and Features. Go to this link and follow the steps under “Error: HPSF.exe has stopped working” to uninstall and reinstall the HP SA.

Solution 2:

Download and update the driver from the product driver page. Go to Software and Driver Downloads  and put in your complete product name to enter the product driver and software page. You can download and update the components from here.

Alternatively, you can check for the general troubleshooting steps from here: http://hp.care/2cNl6yI

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

WHAT printer???  There is no printer involved - this is an INFORMATIONAL QUESTION.  WHAT are HPSSFUpdater and Framework?

HP Support Assistant seems to be a link to HPSF.exe ... my copy of *that* is version 8.7.50.3

Now... an intelligent, in-context response to my questions would be helpful:

WHAT IS HPSSFUpdater?  what does it do?  ( I *speculate* that it updates the HP Support Service Framework... is that a good guess? )

Should I do anything with it?

WHEN (under which conditions) should I run it?

Please answer my ORIGINAL question.  What are these two programs and what function do they perform?

I notice a LOT of these HP*.exe programs on my PC...

What version of HP Support Assistant is installed on your PC?  See above; looks like 8.7.50.3

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the latest version from HP website?  No - I don't install software until I know what it does, and why I need it.

Thank you - as an ex-DECcie, I'm well aware that HP "has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help!"

Solution 1:

Uninstall  HP Support Framework and HP Support Assistant in Control Panel>Programs and Features. Go to this link and follow the steps under “Error: HPSF.exe has stopped working” to uninstall and reinstall the HP SA.

Solution 2:

Download and update the driver from the product driver page. Go to Software and Driver Downloads  and put in your complete product name to enter the product driver and software page. You can download and update the components from here.

Alternatively, you can check for the general troubleshooting steps from here: http://hp.care/2cNl6yI

Please let

me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Let's try again:

1. What is the FUNCTIONAL PURPOSE of HPSF.EXE and HPSSFUPDATER.EXE?

2. WHY do I need them? 

3. What happens if I delete them? 

4. What dependencies do they have?

Thank you!  (They *appear* to consume CPU cycles for no purpose that's obvious to the user.)

HP Recommended

What is HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe?

The genuine HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe file is a software component of HP Support Assistant by Hewlett-Packard.
HP Support Assistant is an application that provides troubleshooting, contextual support, and program updates for desktops and laptops manufactured by HP. HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe runs a core process that is associated with the HP Support Assistant. This is not an essential Windows process and can be disabled if known to create problems. 

HPSSFUpdater.exe is not essential for the Windows OS and causes relatively few problems. The file HPSSFUpdater.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files (x86)" (for instance C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\Modules\)

HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe process in Windows Task Manager

Uninstalling this variant: If you have any problems with HPSSFUpdater.exe, you can remove the entire program HPAsset component for HP Active Support using Windows Control panel.

Please ensure you Uninstall  HP Support Framework and HP Support Assistant in Control Panel>Programs and Features.

Then, Reinstall the latest version from this link

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-self-support.html

Let me know how it goes!

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.