Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp pro book
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Why is the hash key giving me the pound sign?

Warm regards

Andy

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, and Welcome to the HP Support Community!

@Obeya wrote:

Why is the hash key giving me the pound sign?

Warm regards

Andy

I'm a little confused by your question.  "hash key"?

Do you mean as in "hashtag"?   It is a "pound symbol" (or number sign, or even "octothorpe").  They are all the same thing.

#wikipediaLink

Unless you reside in the UK where the "pound sign" is their sign for currency:      £

Perhaps your keyboard is set to a different region?  Check it by going to the Control Panel/Region & Language.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

The hash tag I meant. Each time I press the button it gives me a pound sterling sign.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your computer is likely setup for multiple keyboard layouts and a hotkey  has been inadvertently pressed to switch between layouts.

To fix this concern:

Open the Control Panel

go to the Region and Language applet

From the Keyboards and Languages tab click Change keyboards

If you only want the US keyboard layout, select then Delete all others listed in the General tab

If you have the need for multiple keyboard layouts, ensure that US is set at the top of the list and move to the Advanced Key Settings tab

Modify or delete the hotkeys for switching between keyboard layouts by selecting an option and clicking Change Key Sequence.

If you have decided to retain multiple keyboard layouts, make sure that the Language Bar is readily available from the Language Bar tab. Docked in Taskbar is a good setting here. If this is set, the keyboard icon will be present to the left of the Notification Area (e.g. System Tray) when the Language Bar is Docked in taskbar. This allows you to quickly switch between keyboard layouts.

Hope it helps.

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.