Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

Why can't my laptop open windows and whenever I restart my computer it delete everything. This all started after updating to the new version of windows 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Xoloh 

Sorry to tell you this, but 21H1 has serious problems with HP laptops -- most likely due to driver issues -- and HP is not forthcoming about when, if ever, they will release updated drivers for 21H1.

If this is the version you are running, then you need to go into Windows Update and see if you have the option to restore the previous OS version.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi

The first solution might be helpful if it's because an unexpected computer restart for configuring Windows 10 updates or something related to a system update, it's likely that your computer suffered a hard crash and couldn't load your profile on the reboot. It probably loaded a temporary profile instead, so everything seems to be gone.

• If this is your case, try to log out the current user account and log in with your own account and password.
  • If logging in the user account works, the missing files, folders, and applications should reappear on your computer.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.